Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bee700

bee700

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

Hello,

After the problem I posted about earlier, I reinstalled the computer (+- 170 updates later) I decided to install zone alarm antivirus and firewall and I don't know if I did well. I don't seem to find references to that program here and I've always used it. Should I use something else?

Thank you for your answer.
Bee700

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

What operating system do you use?

#3 bee700

bee700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:06 PM

Windows 7 for this reinstall and I use a VM host has 7 too. Actually while still reading I did find a page on firewalls and it is mentioned. Still the question remains valid.

Thanks

Edited by bee700, 15 December 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:11 PM

I would recommend using Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Firewall

#5 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:40 PM

I would recommend using Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Firewall

Windows Firewall is certainly adequate, but MSE certainly is a poor choice. AV-Test uses it as their baseline against which all other software is judged, and hasn't certified MSE in the last 3 evaluations. If you look at testing on AV-Comparatives or Virus Bulletin, MSE gets low marks. Avast and Avira are better freeware options, and NOD32 and Kaspersky still remain my top picks for payware.

Now I know that there is a lot of room for debate about how AV testers rate their products, but even without getting into issues of methodology, when you look at the results across multiple sites, it's consistently clear that there are some top tier products, and then a descending hierarchy of software. I always find it interesting that whenever someone recommends MSE, they don't really ever back up it's effectiveness with test results.

Why does MSE get so many recommendations? I think that essentially: 1. It comes from Microsoft, and we all know we can trust Microsoft. 2. It is pretty light on system resources, so it is likely to run on that old junker that should have been retired years ago. 3. It's free, and we all know there's a group of people that would eat hotdogs 2 weeks past their expiration date if they were free. 4. It isn't intrusive. Users don't need make a lot of decisions to use the software. Updates are automatic and painless, as are scheduled scans. Frankly point 4 is about the only thing MSE really gets right.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:52 PM

I would still recommend MSE over any Anti-Virus review sites due to my own personal experience with it being ran on various systems and being able to be updated via Windows Updates.

#7 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:58 PM

I would still recommend MSE over any Anti-Virus review sites due to my own personal experience with it being ran on various systems and being able to be updated via Windows Updates.

And based on my own personal experience, I would still say you are wrong. I average about 3 to 5 malware removals per week on systems running MSE. That's a far higher number than any other AV program, though Norton is pretty close to being as ineffectual.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#8 bee700

bee700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:16 PM

It's very interesting as I personnly never paid for an antivirus. I just reformatted a computer wich had avast not free and what good that did! In the end I do wonder if there is any good solution at all. If I had to pay I think the Emisoft software seems (as I too have not checked the tests yet) the best. a mix of anti virus, and behaviour analysis and there is a firewall. Sorry for the spelling and the antivirus name I probably did not spell right but I am using a phone.
Thank for your answers.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:26 PM

ZoneAlarm User Guide
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 bee700

bee700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

Thank you for your answer Bleepin'janitor I will consider my choice to be Ok then? I also use no script on Firefox and installed Secunia +backup. Also I find Zonealarm is rather light and slows down the Pc less. I am off to rest. Thank you for your posts.

Edited by bee700, 15 December 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:36 PM

I prefer Windows built-in Firewall myself. These are 5 Reasons Why the Windows Firewall is One of the Best Firewalls.

But you're welcome.

#12 bee700

bee700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:43 PM

Thank you very much

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

Not a problem.

#14 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:59 AM

It's very interesting as I personnly never paid for an antivirus. I just reformatted a computer wich had avast not free and what good that did! In the end I do wonder if there is any good solution at all. If I had to pay I think the Emisoft software seems (as I too have not checked the tests yet) the best. a mix of anti virus, and behaviour analysis and there is a firewall. Sorry for the spelling and the antivirus name I probably did not spell right but I am using a phone.
Thank for your answers.

No antimalware/antivirus solution is perfect. You will always find that some nasties can slip through. All the same, the important issue is that some products are more effective than others. And I remain firmly convinced, based on my personal experiences and experience with client computers, that the performance of paid products exceeds freeware.

Frankly, I make a pretty good living cleaning up after folks who deploy second or third rate AV products, and are too cheap to even buy MBAM Pro.

WIFFLEBALL!

#15 bee700

bee700
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

Thanks for your feedback slgrieb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users