Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bent CPU socket pins on a 'dead' mobo

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 doodah12

doodah12

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:36 PM

Boy, I really screwed up. I have an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 and the board 'died' after a year of use, no post, no beeps. Checked the Psu, ram, and HD, that left CPU and processor, and being that I didn't overclock, I'm pretty sure it was the board.
Even though its over a year old, this board has a 3 year warranty, so I was prepping it to hopefully get an Rma on Monday.
Where I screwed up royally was the plastic cap that covers the CPU socket. On it it says 'must be installed over the CPU socket to return mobo for service, etc'. Only thing is, I forgot that its supposed to be put back over the CPU hold down, not under it! In trying to do it that way, I bent some pins before I realized my mistake.
My question is, is there any way Asrock would still accept it for an Rma, because it was 'dead' before I bent the pins, if they straightened them out to test the board they'd be able to test it, and see that it was 'dead'. What do you guys think, how's Asrocks customer service?
Boy, I really screwed up. I have an Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 and the board 'died' after a year of use, no post, no beeps. Checked the Psu, ram, and HD, that left CPU and processor, and being that I didn't overclock, I'm pretty sure it was the board.
Even though its over a year old, this board has a 3 year warranty, so I was prepping it to hopefully get an Rma on Monday.
Where I screwed up royally was the plastic cap that covers the CPU socket. On it it says 'must be installed over the CPU socket to return mobo for service, etc'. Only thing is, I forgot that its supposed to be put back over the CPU hold down, not under it! In trying to do it that way, I bent some pins before I realized my mistake.
My question is, is there any way Asrock would still accept it for an Rma, because it was 'dead' before I bent the pins, if they straightened them out to test the board they'd be able to test it, and see that it was 'dead'. What do you guys think, how's Asrocks customer service?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:14 PM

Straightening out these pins is almost impossible.

I think your best bet is to return it to them anyway and see what happens - they might just issue a replacement board !  If they don't and start raising objections, the best thing you can do is put your hands up to the error and throw yourself on their mercy. After all, it was no doubt due to some ambiguity in the instructions - wasn't it ?

Chris Cosgrove

#3 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:33 PM

Straightening out these pins is almost impossible.

I think your best bet is to return it to them anyway and see what happens - they might just issue a replacement board !  If they don't and start raising objections, the best thing you can do is put your hands up to the error and throw yourself on their mercy. After all, it was no doubt due to some ambiguity in the instructions - wasn't it ?

Chris Cosgrove

Concur, mostly. Whatever you have done to bend the pins on your CPU is irrelevant to the warranty on the motherboard. Just request an RMA for the board, and if it is defective, you should get a replacement. All other issues aren't really germane to a failed MOBO. A failed board is a failed board. End of story.

The issue of bent contacts on the CPU is a separate problem. I've been able to straighten bent pins many times, but those were cases when the pins might have been a few degrees off true. If you have pins that are seriously bent, they might break if you try to straighten them. Hey! if attempting to straighten the pins doesn't work, you aren't worse off, right? In this scenario, tweezers or very fine needle nose pliers and a good magnifier are invaluable.

Edited by slgrieb, 15 December 2013 - 07:36 PM.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:43 PM

Send the board, whats the cpu have to do with it? You really think they test it. They toss

it in the trash and give you a new one.

#5 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:54 PM

Send the board, whats the cpu have to do with it? You really think they test it. They toss

it in the trash and give you a new one.

Ah, if only that were always true. Several years ago I shipped a defective mainboard to Asus for warranty service, and they kept it two weeks, then shipped it back with a notice that they had replaced a defective MOSFET. I think that was about the time I started buying more Gigabyte boards in preference to Asus.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#6 doodah12

doodah12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:19 AM

Pretty happy with Asrock, they said since they don't do any testing on sent back mobo's, and since there's bent pins, the mobo goes 'out of warranty', but they only charge $50 to replace the board.  Considering that I caused the bent pins, I'm pretty happy, I'm only out $50, instead of $130 to buy a new board.

Edited by doodah12, 20 December 2013 - 05:20 AM.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:37 AM

Idea!  I have successfully straightened pins using a credit card, it is worth a try as you have nothing to lose at this point. 

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#8 doodah12

doodah12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:45 AM

Nah, they're toast

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users