Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with the clicker on my laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bigbrown411

bigbrown411

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

Today when I woke up, the left click on my laptop was non-functional. I could click it, but nothing would happen. I tried dragging my mouse across my screen to create a box, nothing happened. I tried opening files, nothing happened. I've had issued with the left clicker on my laptop. It would always get stuck from dust and stuff getting under the clicker. But this has never happened. It's completely non-functional. It was working fine yesterday. What can I do. I don't think it's broken. I've had this laptop for less than 2 years. It's an ASUS by the way.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

Can you try it in safe mode via hitting F8 just post screen?

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

Does the right-click function still operate normally? If it does, try going into the mouse settings in Control Panel and swapping the right and left click actions (left-handed) - if the left click then works from the right button, but the left button won't operate the right-click function, the switch itself has gone faulty.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

As a workaround you could always plug a mouse in and see if that gives you left and right clicks - if it does, it is almost certainly the left switch on the trackpad.

You say you have had a history of dust and fluff getting under the left hand button, maybe this time you have something more substantial in there. If you are using the laptop in a dusty environment it's probably time anyway to give it as good a cleanout as you can. If you switch it off, turn it over and remove the battery ( as a safety precaution ) you can then remove the one or two covers on the base and get at the fan and air vents. A soft brush and either a can of compressed air or a gentle application of a vacumn cleaner will probably clean out a lot of dirt - you might even free uup your left button.

Unless you feel fully comfortable with the idea, I wouldn't recommend dismantling the laptop to change the trackpad assembly - they contain some very easily damaged connectors. There are some very discreet wireless mice on the market if the problem persists.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users