Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With Restore Of Compaq Presario

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 FRADesigns

FRADesigns

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 05 May 2006 - 06:25 PM

Not sure if anyone can help here but worth a try.
I brought a new compaq presario desktop pc just before xmas. I got sick of all thier crap on it so I re-installed with another copy of windows xp prof sp2. Now I am having problems and want to go back to the original installation on the compaq.
Didn't do any restore disks as no-one explained this to me then. The install partition is still on the compaq but when I load up comp and try to press F10 to do it, it doesn't work (just keeps loading into windows). I can not figure out how to get the reinstall to start and am not sure how to do it manually. My brother has tried to manually start it in windows but it doesn't like this. Have tried changing the boot drive using the Esc and F1 keys as per start up options but it has the drive as grouped and can not specify H drive (where compaq restore is).
Any suggestions welcomed before I have to find more money to buy disk!
My brother has suggested that maybe we can delete the c drive partition therefore forcing the h drive to run, but want to leave this as a last result in case it doesn't work.
Thanks to anyone who reads this.
Ange

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 printboy67

printboy67

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 05 May 2006 - 06:40 PM

Ok Frad, if you want to restore the system to the way it was when you purchased it, the best way is to place the restore cd in your drive and restart. when the option comes up press what ever key you ned to to enter setup. scroll through the setup untill you can change the boot options. place the cd drive as your 1st boot option. when you have done that, save and exit setup. when the system reboots, you will be given the option to restore. READ THE WARNINGS CAREFULLY, THIS WILL FORMAT THE HARDRIVE AND ERASE ALL THE DATA THAT YOU HAVE. I recomend that you burn a copy of all your important files prior to doing this and good luck.

Printboy67 :thumbsup:

#3 FRADesigns

FRADesigns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:36 PM

Thanks Printboy67, but I never recieved a restore disk with the computer because the installation is on a seperate partition on the hd. Apparently I was supposed to make one when I first got the computer but nobody explained that to me. I can purchase one but I am very low on funds and looking for other options first like maybe re-linking the F10 key to the h drive installation as there is nowhere for me to be able to tell it to boot from h drive.
Ange

#4 printboy67

printboy67

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2006 - 08:40 AM

well if you bought the system new compaq supplies them with restore cd's. If you got the system used and know the prvious owner should have the restore cd's. Other than that I can only suggest that you get that copy of xp pro and do a system rebuild. Just don't install on a different partition. Reformat the HD and don't partition it. there is no real need to do so unless your using a scsi drive. I have a 250GB Sata drive with no partitions it just wastes space. good luck,

printboy67 :thumbsup:

#5 wahlroot

wahlroot

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 08:30 PM

I bought a new Compaq Computer a few months back. It did not come with Restore CD's. When I tried to restore from the separate partition, it did not work. When I called Compaq they did not offer CD's to repair the operating system. I bought Reinstallation disks. There are 8 of them, and they wipe everything away before Reinstalling. Have not had to use them yet, and hoping I never have to. Too many applications to reinstall, taking too many hours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users