Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1, Num Lock Off at Login Screen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

When I log into Window 8.1 the num lock is always off. Same thing continues in Win 8.1 after I upgraded to Win 8.

When the boot is complete (HP m7-j010DX) the num lock is still off.  This is a higher end HP laptop and I am also blown away they pinched pennys to remove the on/off light on the num lock making the confusion worse.

This is driving me crazy as every PC I have used in the last 20 years has always started with the num lock on   and had an "On" light.  I continue to get stuck at boot up or can't figure out when my passwords won't work after login. It is a huge time waster.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:12 PM

Just a qwerk of 8. You can change that behavior in the Registry, so that it is on all the time. Also check the bios settings. Some machines allow you to set the NumLock to 'On' state in there.

#3 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:46 PM

Thanks,

I will check the bios very carefully to see if I might have missed a setting for num lock.

It been years since I have done any registry tweeks and I truthfully do not understand all the workings of 8.1 to try a registry tweek.  I also don't care for the idea of always on without being able to shut it off.  I want the keyboard to function as intended.

Thanks again for the ideas!

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:20 PM

Nothing changed in 8.x as stuff has always been done with the earlier versions of Windows.

People need to stop thinking that just because MS came out with a new OS, that they changed the behavior and methods in the new one.

Regeditis still the same way as XP, Vista, 7, etc..

#5 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:23 PM

Nothing in the Bios.

I have made registry changes sucessfully in the earlier versions of Windows but with my level of registry knowledge I will not make any changes without the guidance of someone much more knowledgeable than I.  One tiny error and your system can become unbootable at the drop of a hat on any version of Windows.

So if any of the experts here could help with exactly what changes are needed to turn the num lock on after login boot I would be more that interested in trying.  I do backup on a regular basis but at this point I don't completely trust the new Acronis 2014.  That first recovery with new software is always scary.

Thanks

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:55 PM

Just follow the instructions athttp://www.techcular.com/enable-numlock-at-windows-8-startup/ Same info here http://www.thewindowsclub.com/numlock-startup-windows-7-8. You cannot screw it up, since they are very simple Instructions.

People need to get over this great fear, when doing stuff in Windows.

Edited by Greg62702, 15 December 2013 - 10:58 PM.

#7 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

Thanks, I will check it out.

#8 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:13 PM

Greg,

I am indebted to you and very grateful you took the time to post a perfect fix to the num lock problem.  I tried the easy registry tweek and it worked like a charm.

Thanks so much for the help!

#9 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

Windows is actually ment to save the state of the numslock key when you logoff. if its on and you logoff it should be on when you log backin and vice versa, but that doesnt always work. I also use Sharpkeys for editing keys on Panasonic toughbooks as well which can be handy if anyone is ever keen!

#10 Techwork

Techwork

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:54 AM

Thanks for the solution Greg.

Just what I was needing :-)

Best regards

Thomas
wb2.png