Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explanation of disk partitions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

In the attached picture, Disk 0 is divided into "Primary partition" (19GB), C (116GB), D (329GB). D has all of my data, C contains the Windows OS.

(1) I do not understand the 19GB Primary partition. Could someone give me an explanation of that partition?

(2) When I execute a clean install Windows 7, I will be asked if I want to delete partitions. I will choose to explicitly delete both C & D. Do I also explicitly delete the 19Gb Primary partition or will that be done automatically when I delete C and execute a clean install of the OS?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

If this is a OEM computer this could be the System Recovery partition.

Edited by dc3, 15 December 2013 - 12:16 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 AngryRaisin

AngryRaisin

• Members
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:20 PM

Generally if you do a clean install of windows 7 with an absolutely blank hard drive and let the installer make the partitions it will make a 100mb primary partition that contains boot information and a recovery environment that would allow you to do some troubleshooting when your computer would not boot completely into windows. After that 100mb primary partition it would use the rest of the space to create a "C" drive that would be the OS and User stuff.

If you choose to override the installer you may create your own partitions and neglect this primary partition but then you lose some easy recovery options.

I don't know why your primary partition is so large - It would only need to be that large if it held something like a recovery image ... I usually don't see it implemented this way, but everyone does things a little different.

There are even more partition types when you start moving to EFI based system but you won't have to deal with that until later on, like if you purchase a pre-built Windows 8 machine.

#4 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:03 PM

What is the make and model of this computer?

If this is a OEM computer this could be the System Recovery partition.

Sorry, I should have stated that info in my post.

Computer is ASUS K52F-BBR9 with Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64 bit

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

This laptop has a System Recovery partition which would be on the 19GB partition.  Since you have a System Recovery partition you can revert your computer's operating system to the condition it came out of the box.  If you use it you should back up all of your important data, programs and licenses, pictures, e-mail address, etc. to a removable source of media so you can reintall it after the factory restore.

I did a search to find the size of the System Recovery partition for this model, but wasn't able to find the size for this specific model.  But it looks like other ASUS laptops with Windows 7 have a recovery partition 12GB in size, so it wouldn't surprise me to find your to be 19GB in size.

The 100B partition AngryRaisin has referred to is the System Reserved partition.  This partition holds the Boot Manager code and the Boot Configuration Database.  It also reserves space for the startup files required by the BitLockerDrive Encryptionion feature.

I hope this helps. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users