Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

factory restore broken

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 justinr34gtr

justinr34gtr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:19 AM

I was trying to do a factory rest and it froze leading me to have to shut off the computer. Upon reboot it tells me

Your pc needs to be repaired. The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because the required file is missing or contains errors

File: \windows\system32\winload.efi
Error code: 0xc0000225

Then it says that I will need to use recovery media such as cd or usb which I don't have. The same happens when I try to enter the factory restore.

I booted into Linux from a live usb and my hard drive was showing as nothing but unallocated space. I was able to get the computer to recognize the 1st ( labeled WINRE ), 2nd ( unlabeled but I recognize that the files are the files used when using the "boot from efi file" upon startup ), 4th ( linux ), 5th ( linux swap ), and 6th ( labeled RECOVERY ) partition. The files on all the recovered partitions appear fine.

I reinstalled Linux on the partition it was on before and swap in the same partition it was on before because I remember that before this happened a menu entry to load windows ( and windows recovery ) was automatically created in Grub.

I still get the same error when trying to do a factory restore, but from the grub menu I tried "windows recovery environment" and that produced a new error.

File : \Boot\BCD

The boot configuration data for your pc is missing or contains errors

Is there any way I can get the factory reset working again, or somehow get into it from grub? As I've said, the recovery partitions are there and they appear to be ok. The only partitions that I was unable to get the computer to recognize are the 3rd ( msftres which had nothing on it anyway ), and the 4th ( which was where windows originally was ).

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:08 PM

If you installed Linux on the computer, you broke the Windows install. Now the question is,are you wanting to only use Ubuntu, or do you only want to use Windows.

#3 justinr34gtr

justinr34gtr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:02 PM

If you installed Linux on the computer, you broke the Windows install. Now the question is,are you wanting to only use Ubuntu, or do you only want to use Windows.

The windows install was fine with linux installed before trying the factory reset. Dual boot worked. The only reason I installed Linux on the partition that already had it was to have grub recognize the windows recovery environment ( which it did ). The recovery still won't boot though even though the partitions are intact.

To answer your question, I'd like to get back to factory, and once I am, go back to my working dual boot like I've always had.

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:24 PM

I would just run whichever OS you are not going to be using all of the time, into a Virtual Machine install.

Whatever you did, fubar'd your Windows install. Nothing against you, but I would choose Linux over Windows any day.

#5 justinr34gtr

justinr34gtr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:17 PM

I would just run whichever OS you are not going to be using all of the time, into a Virtual Machine install.

Whatever you did, fubar'd your Windows install. Nothing against you, but I would choose Linux over Windows any day.

I hear you. I'd rather run Linux as well. I mainly only need Windows for those rare times there isn't a Linux program that does what I need to do. That's pretty uncommon, and even less common thanks to Wine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users