Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Dell XPS 400 amber flashing power light

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sgtwarpig

sgtwarpig

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:16 AM

I am currently having a problem when I hit the power button on my computer. The power light flashes amber for 5 to 10 minutes before the computer actually starts up. It then goes green and starts to boot. Does anyone have any idea how to solve this problem>

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

This occurs when there is a hardware issue. If you change anything then go
back and check to see if it was correctly installed. (Reseat memory for example)

Could be any hardware including the power supply, loose cables, video card ect..

#3 sgtwarpig

sgtwarpig
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

I haven't done anything inside the computer this just started happening. Does that mean its the power supply and if so how do I determine which one I need for the computer I have.

Thanks

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:00 PM

You can test the PSU with the following method.

Remove all external devices except for the mouse and keyboard.

Turn of the computer and unplug it from the wall.

Press and hold the power button for 15 to 20 seconds, the power LED should go out.

Open the case and remove the motherboard battery, please note the polarity (+ or -) before removing it.

Press and hold the power button again for ~30 seconds.

Reinstall the battery observing the proper polarity and plug the power cord back into the wall, see if the computer will boot properly when the power button is pressed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users