Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

some sort of shortcut virus on my pendrives?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Vipuldass

Vipuldass

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

Greetings !
I apparently have some sort of shortcut virus on my pendrives. I used one on a public computer and when I reconnected that pendrive to my home laptop, all I coul see were shortcuts of the .ink kind. And when I double clicked on one it would open the cmd window and give me an error that microsoft.vbs couldn't be found. Later I connected another pendrive (one without the virus) and everything got converted ionto shortcuts again. I unchewcked the "hide essential windows files option" in folder options, so I am able to see my files on the pendrive along with the shortcuts. Both avg and malwarebytes have failed to solve this problem.my harddrives seem unaffected. Any help will be appreciated thanks !

Edited by hamluis, 15 December 2013 - 03:36 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

reformat the pendrives.

my computer>rightclick on offending pen drive>format>fat32 quick format.

will erase EVERYTHING from the drives.

I suggest you do an advanced malware scan with something like ESET online scanner though, just to be sure you don't have nasties carried across.

#3 Vipuldass

Vipuldass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:31 AM

I formatted one pendrive. But it didn't work out. On placing a file inside pendrive it still had a shortcut made after a few seconds

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:19 AM

Make sure your antivirus is set to always scan removable media, along with that you have disabled autorun for any removable media.

The situation you ran into, is how viri expand their territory. If this is an Internet Cafe, you may want to bring it to the attention of whoever runs it, that their machines are infected.

At work, we use a program called "USB Scan" along with McAfee Enterprise, to protect the workstations. Not my idea. Someone at our state CMS computer unit came up with that idea.

#5 Vipuldass

Vipuldass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:25 AM

neither the antivirus, nor any spyware programs show anything wrong with the usb drive! I've formatted it multiple times. However, I was looking through my C drive and I noticed that there are shortcuts for my music, my pictures and one other folder as well. They are probablyy the virus shortcuts

#6 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:15 AM

If you reformatted several times, it's not the flashdrive. It's likely your computer that is infected. Head on over to Am I Infected and get clean quick!

Unofficial iOS Genius

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:22 AM

yup.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:34 AM

Hmm thought this worm was patched a long time ago. It's an auto execution exploit using .lnk files that gets executed by windows explorer. Be sure to keep Windows updates on and update your virus scanners on your own system. You should alert them that they got a zombie machine. Using a public machine and using a USB drive be sure to write protect the drive or files. Usually a public machine is domain controlled with secuirty polcies, apparently the machine you used is lacking. http://portableapps.com/apps helps to have a portable virus scanner and other useful apps. None of them apps need to be installed and can run off the usb stick.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,239 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:13 PM

have disabled autorun for any removable media.

Good solid advice for everyone who owns a computer. Along with showing file extensions for known file types....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users