Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding internal hdd

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lance1992

Lance1992

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

Basically I'm looking to add another hdd to my computer. It is a slightly old computer, so I'm not sure if it's an IDE or sata connection and not quite sure how to find out. I've looked through the Internet on how to set up a new internal hdd aswell but can't seem to find that either, if anybody could provide any links for information on what I'm looking for I'd appreciate it. I also have a few pictures of the inside of the computer if anybody could look at them and help me figure out if I need an IDE or sata hdd or if I need additional cables etc. Yes I am a noob at trying to install a hdd if you haven't figured out already haha, thanks for any helpAttached File  image.jpg   197.5KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   129.17KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

those are sata connecters.
each drive will have its own sata connection.

Edited by Roodo, 14 December 2013 - 09:44 PM.

#3 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:14 AM

those are sata connecters.
each drive will have its own sata connection.

The connectors in the photos are clearly SATA connectors, so adding a second SATA drive shouldn't be difficult. Just plug in the data cable (skinny red cable) and a power cable. Even if your power supply is short of SATA connectors, you can buy Molex to SATA converters cheap. Once the drive is installed, boot into Windows, open Control Panel, select Administrative Tools, open Computer Management, then go to Disk Management. From there you can format and/or partition the new drive.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

#4 Lance1992

Lance1992
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:05 AM

Thanks for the replies, the wires showed in the picture are already taken up for the existing harddrive though. Any idea what type of new cables I'd have to buy if that's possible etc?

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

You will need to buy a SATA data lead, preferably the straight ended one like you already have ( there is also a right angle ended one ) and you will need to find a spare SATA power connector on your power supply loom, and Slgrieb has said adapters are readily available if there isn't a spare connector on the loom.

And you will need a vacant SATA socket on the mobo for the data lead. Most mobos have at least four, so you shouldn't have a problem there.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users