Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop error screen on startup.

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

On startup after the initial Dell logo and such, it comes up with the "Windows Error Recovery" screen, and displays "Launch Startup Repair" and "Start Windows Normally", neither work.

When you hit F8 it does come up with the Startup Options, but none of the options work, including Repair My Computer, and Last Known Good Configuration.

When you select Launch Startup Repair from the error recovery selection, it loads a bit, then goes to a the BSoD (Stop error screen) and displays the following:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer.  If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software.   Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.  If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0x8E5C0000, 0x00000000, 0x8A844B33, 0x00000000)

As I said, none of the Startup Options work.

If you select Start Windows Normally it will just load the spinning logo, then go back to the Dell logo startup screen.

If you select Launch Startup Repair it goes to the BSoD.

The computer doesn't ever reach the Login screen, so please keep in mind I can't access any program tools and settings.

I have looked into the 0x50 BCCode (I think that's what they're called) a bit, but I understand very little of it.

I'm just a teenager, and me and my dad don't know much about hardware, most of it is way over our heads.

What we did previous to this:

Well, the computer had a gotten a virus, after a few months we finally got the recovery disc in the mail, and just two(?) days ago I recovered the computer.  It was 100% successful (from my point of view) and everything worked great.  I reinstalled all my programs, and loaded up the files from a thumbdrive.

However, yesterday morning, it wouldn't turn on, and this happened.

We did not change anything else.

During us trying to troubleshoot things, we did reseat the video card and the memory cards.

Computer stats: (that I can remember)

Computer Model: Dell Inspiron 530

RAM: 4GB

Hard Disk Space: 230GB (130 or more free)

Anything else that you guys need to know I'll try to get the information.

Please remember, we're not going to understand most of your nerd talk. :P

Just kidding, but thanks ahead of time for helping us out.

You can call us Joe, that's my dad's name, but the name on the account.  I'm just typing this all out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:59 AM

System appears to be about 5 years old...I would replace the CMOS battery, as a start.

Did you try to run Dell Diagnostics?

The CMOS battery is a coin-sized small battery (CR2032 is the model/type) on the motherboard.

General Instructions , ignore the part about copying settings, that is unnecessary today.

After changing the battery, check the date/time in the BIOS and ensure that what is reflected is accurate.  Then hit F10 to save the changes, the system will reboot automatically.

Louis

#3 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:36 PM

System appears to be about 5 years old...I would replace the CMOS battery, as a start.

Did you try to run Dell Diagnostics?

The CMOS battery is a coin-sized small battery (CR2032 is the model/type) on the motherboard.

General Instructions , ignore the part about copying settings, that is unnecessary today.

After changing the battery, check the date/time in the BIOS and ensure that what is reflected is accurate.  Then hit F10 to save the changes, the system will reboot automatically.

Louis

Thanks for the help, I'll try replacing the battery!

That seems like quite an easy fix.

Also, it's five years old, yes, but it runs like a top. :D

It has had upgrades and such.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

If you have a bad CMOS battery typically the time and date will not remain current.

Since you can't boot into window in either mode let's do a repair installation.  This will run the Startup Repair.

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

The ISO image will need to be burned to a DVD in order to create a bootable installation disc.

1a)  To burn a ISO file to a DVD please download ImgBurn and install it.

2a)  Insert a blank DVD into your CD/DVD drive tray, and then close the tray.

3a)  Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

4a)  Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

5a)  Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

6a)  Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable DVD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:59 PM

When I insert the Installation disc into the drive, then restart the computer, nothing changes.

The "Windows Error Recovery" screen pops back up, not the installer.

I know the disc is genuine, because as I said, a few days ago I reinstalled Windows 7.

I'm not sure why the disc isn't working, but I have tried to do this already.

Do you mean I should do this after I replace the battery?

I was noticing problems with the clock time beforehand, so I should do this anyways.

Edited by JoeVehicle, 15 December 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

Yes, replace the CMOS battery first and then see how things go.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

We replaced the CMOS battery, and the clock is working now, but the computer still has the same issues?

Also, earlier when you started up the computer, the initial Dell logo was all misconfigured, like certain lines of the screen were misplaced.

When I put the Installation disc in the drive, for some reason this cleared up, but I reset the Boot settings to default, and then changed the time, it came back.

Do you have any idea why this is happening?

It was so out-of-the-blue, as well, we hadn't really done anything except re-installed windows.

We hadn't moved the computer, changed any settings, or anything like that.

And now when I startup I get all this rubbish not working, and sometimes getting that BSoD.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention on startup now, past the Dell screen, it says "Diskette drive 0 seek failure".

When you hit F1 it does some SATA loading thingy and then it goes to the "Windows Error Recovery" screen.

Like I said, I'm not a computer nerd.  I have no clue what I'm doing.

Edited by JoeVehicle, 15 December 2013 - 04:38 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

When you did the re-install did you load the drivers?

#9 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:49 PM

Yes, I'm sure of it.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:01 PM

Today's my father's 93rd B-day, I'm out of here till tomorrow.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:27 PM

<<I forgot to mention on startup now, past the Dell screen, it says "Diskette drive 0 seek failure".

When you hit F1 it does some SATA loading thingy and then it goes to the "Windows Error Recovery" screen.>>

What does this F1 option do?  From what I see...that's only for getting into the BIOS on some Dells.

Did you try running the Dell Diagnostics?

Can you boot into safe mode?

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001500.htm

Reset the BIOS boot options...making the hard drive the first option...save the changes by hitting F10, please.

Louis

#12 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:19 PM

@dc3

Thanks for your help!

I hope your Father has a good birthday.

@Hamluis

I meant when you hit F1 during the "Diskette drive 0 seek failure" screen that was how you went past it, like a 'next' button.

I googled the Diskette problem and fixed it, it didn't really disable anything, just gave some annoying warning screen.

I have not tried Dell Diagnostics yet, because of this screen upon hitting the "Boot to Utility Partition":

Boot from Utility Partition ...

Not Found ...

No boot device available, Press the ENTER key to retry

SATA-0: Installed

SATA-1: Installed

SATA-4: None

SATA-5: None

Upon hitting the Enter key, obviously nothing works.

There are so many things that simply don't work now that always worked before, and I can't honestly see any connections between them.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:04 AM

At this pointI think it's worth checking the condition of the hdd.

Notice:  SeaTools for DOS will run on all manufacturer's hard drives, but may not recognize the hard drive if the Storage Configuration is not set in a configuration which SeaTools will recognize. 

If the motherboard has a Intel SATA controller the storage configuration for SATA must be set to AHCI.

If the mohterboard has a Marvel SATA controller the storage configuration for SATA must be set to IDE.

To determined how your storage is configured open the Device Manager and click on IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.This will expand the tree allowing you to see your storage configuration.

If you need to change the configuration you will have to go into the BIOS to make the change.

Please download SeaTool for DOS.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button in step #4.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD in order to create a bootable disc with which to run the diagnostic tests.

To burn this ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

imgb1_zpsbb69e759.png

Right click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then click on Downloads.  Scroll down to the SeaTools for DOS download and click on it.  This will load the ISO image, you will see the information listed as it is in the image below outlined in red.

imgb2_zps3f021ae7.png  

Click on the blue arrow (also outlined in red) to start burning the bootable CD.

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Please run the long test and include the results in your next post in this topic.

#14 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:14 AM

Booting up the computer in any way doesn't work.

Whenever you actually get to the boot point, where it is going to start, I get the Stop Error Screen with the information I posted originally.

I can't boot up the hard-drive, obviously, but I'll try the disc.

It's sort of frustrating not knowing what I'm dealing with.

#15 JoeVehicle

JoeVehicle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

Anything on the internet as far as this goes says to do things on the computer, such as repairing registries, running adware, running certain programs, changing settings, etc.

None of which I can do on the computer, seeing as it doesn't even boot up.

The power turns on, and that's about it, other than the Setup and Boot menus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users