Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very frustrating freezing and odd behavior from my computer. Am I infected?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nephrahim

Nephrahim

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:51 PM

I've been having a problem with my computer for a few months now.  I kept hoping I would stumble into a solution, but have been unable to.  I think it is a malware problem, but I've been denying it because I tend to protect myself from it pretty comprehensively.

The computer boots up fine, without any problems, and seems okay.  After some time though, sometimes minutes, sometimes hours, the computer will freeze, or hang up.  This only lasts for a few seconds, with everything freezing, even the audio (Which results in an annoying screeching sound if there was anything playing at the time) and the temporary interruption of any program I am running at the time.

After that, the computer recovers, which takes about a half a minute, the computer works, but with some quirks and slowness.  The mouse cursor acts odd, not showing the proper symbols when I hover over something (I'll see a finger pointer over text, then the text editing symbol over a hyperlink, ext)  And if I continue to move the mouse, especially in windows, the computer will continue to hang up every few minutes, this time only lasting for a few seconds before resuming.  The freezes do not seem to occur when I do not use my mouse (it has not happened for the entirely of me typing out this message).  There is also some general slowness on all programs, with games running in half the frames they would before the freeze occurred.

I've tried to look online for hint of what has happened to my computer, but as you can imagine, vague sounding problems like "Computer freezing" will get dozens of results which will have nothing to do with my problem.  So I don't see any recourse but to lay my problem out and hope someone has any suggestions besides wiping the computer or taking it to a computer shop.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Please download MiniToolBox, and save it to your desktop and run it, and checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.
Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

#3 Nephrahim

Nephrahim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:12 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/p6pP87b1yAFgTgNQxQLo3Gp

#4 viktik

viktik

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:01 AM

u have installed to many applications.

some of them are conflicting and causing the problem.

u may install hitmanpro. it will tell if some software is infected with virus.

www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro/‎

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

Can you now run the Minitoolbox?

#6 Nephrahim

Nephrahim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:45 AM

Thank you for the quick assists!  I will use hitmanpro and minitool box later today, when I get a chance.

I just had the slowdown occur so I decided to run another speccy publish to see if there's an obvious difference.

Again, thank you for all the help.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/UyS5wpfZySZ6TLVRzzOc1gr

Edited by Nephrahim, 17 December 2013 - 05:45 AM.

#7 Nephrahim

Nephrahim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:53 AM

Hmm.  I ran minitoolbox, but I can't figure out how to post a txt document, so here's a link to it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37996686/Result.txt

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:23 AM

Please download and use the Norton Removal Tool to remove Norton from your system as it can cause a lot of issues.

Also please download and use the Data Life Guard Tools for DOS to perform tests on your hard drive. Perform the extended test.

I also see that your video card is exhibiting errors as per your minitoolbox.

What kind of power supply do you have?

#9 Nephrahim

Nephrahim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:26 PM

I'm sorry for taking so long to respond, this problem is just so... frustrating, I want to ignore it and hope it goes away.

All the HD tests came back fine.  power supply is a XIGMATEK  600w, it should be fine and I was told it was stable by others before I bought it.

Video card...  I'm not sure about, but I don't know how to test it.  Could these all be video errors?  since the whole computer was freezing first I thought it was something else.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:37 PM

I would recommend going to www.geforce.com and downloading the drivers for your video card.

#11 Nephrahim

Nephrahim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

Tried, no help.

Looking into things, it has to be this Nvlddmkm Error thing. It just also causes slowdown and other graphical errors once it recovers.  I'm doing the simple stuff like trying to turn off areo but I doubt it'll do anything.  I've already run overnight memory, so it might just be the graphics card (Or PSU I suppose.)

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

What kind of power supply do you have?

#13 Nephrahim

Nephrahim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817815009

Recently had another incident.  I was forced to restart to computer after a black screen and freeze, but the computer did not restart.  Instead of blue screened me (Too fast for me to read all of it) and sent me to system repair.  it was able to restore and get it working again, but now I'm suspecting a software issue again.

I think I'm just going to reformat the entire thing from scratch and see if that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users