Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hal.dll error msg when booting laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 richlyrewarding

richlyrewarding

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:12 PM

I am new to this board, joined at the advice of one of my fellow co-workers, he says this is a great site for help!

I have a  laptop with Windows o.s. 7 and I am receiving the message when I turn it on  (windows Root)\system32\hal.dll

Please re-install a copy of the above file

can someone please give me some direction on what I need to do to correct this error

any help is very much appreciated

Richlyrewarding

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

First of all, welcome to BC !

Next, try starting your computer in 'Safe mode'. You most commonly do this by pressing the 'F8' key while the BIOS screen (the one with the manufacturer's logo all over it) is showing. If 'F8' doesn't work on your computer, look at the BIOS screen for what key gets you to the boot menu. This will bring you to a black screen with white text. At the top there are three variants on 'Safe mode'. Use the up and down arrow keys to select the 'with networking' option and press 'Enter'. This will boot the computer into safe mode. Don't worry about the appearance - it's a black screen with an even array of icons and 'Safe mode' in each corner. Let it finish booting, then shut it down again. This simple procedure cures a surprising number of errors !

If this doesn't solve it for you all by itself, there is quite a good discussion of how to solve the problem here :-

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/errorh/a/hal-dll-missing-windows-7-vista.htm

Essentially, if 'Safe mode' didn't solve it, then you need to do a Windows repair of some sort. Re-boot and press 'F8' ( or whatever key it is on your computer ) again but this time arrow key your way towards the bottom of the 'Safe mode' screen and you will see two choices, roughly, 'Repair Windows' and 'Last known good configuration'. Choose 'Last known good configuration' and again press 'Enter'. Your computer will mutter to itself for a minute or two and then usually - not always - burst into life. If it does, great - problem solved.

If it doesn't work, then repeat the process, but this time choose the 'Repair Windows' option, and press 'Enter'. Again, this will usually work, but may not.

If it doesn't, post back with a note of what you have tried and we will take it from there, but have a look at the article referenced above.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users