Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having trouble installing Win8 on a new HDD

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tondelevo

Tondelevo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

I recently purchased a new 3TB Seagate Barracuda hard drive to replace my 5 or 6 year old 500GB one, and I wanted to put Win8 on the new one so I can boot from it, presumably a bit faster instead of the older one, and just use the 500GB one for miscellaneous storage. I figured this would be a simple fix, just pop in the 3TB hard drive, pop in my Win 8 CD and boot it up basically just like a fresh install. The only thing is I keep being met with an error message saying "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one." or something very similar. I'm positive I've created a partition and I've formatted and everything. My computer registers the new hard drive, I could put files on it and everything so I know it's working. My motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 so I know it uses UEFI and the hard drive needs to be formatted as a GPT drive, I've done all that and still the problem persists. Any insight would be incredibly appreciated.

Most of the solutions I've run across involve running diskpart.exe and "activating" the drive or something like that, which would normally be fine and dandy but it doesn't let you do that on a GPT drive, only MBR which I don't think I could even use with this particular hard drive and if I could it would cap the storage at 2.2TB if I understand correctly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

It may register it, but may not be able to use the full 3TB. You need to partition it to 1TBfor the Win8 install. Whenthe DVD boots up, choose "Custom Install", then select the 1TB partition.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:33 PM

Is this copy of windows 8 a 64-bit version?

If it is and you have the UEFI/BIOS you can install it and boot from it, you can't if this is a 32-bit version.

You can find more information here.

Edited by dc3, 14 December 2013 - 02:35 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Tondelevo

Tondelevo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

Thank you both for your replies, and yes it is Windows 8 64-bit. I'm very hard drive illiterate, as I've only ever owned the old 500GB one for the past 5 years. I've never really had to worry about any of this, and especially the GPT-MBR system. If I did partition it down to a single TB, what would that mean for the remaining two?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

You would want to make two partitions to achieve this, so you would wind up with the whole 3TB being used.

Check out the article, it may provide information you haven't read as yet.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Tondelevo

Tondelevo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

I did read it, thank you for it. I basically gathered that Windows (even 64-bit) can't utilize above 2.2TB in a single partition, which if that's the case it would explain why it wasn't working for me because I was trying to install on the full 3TB single partition.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:21 PM

Support for Disk Drives Beyond 2.2 TeraBytes (TB) and 4K Advanced Format Sectors

GUID Partition Tables (GPT) can define drives larger than 2.2TB. You can use GPT today on any Windows 7 and Vista system as a non-booting data drive. Windows can only boot a GPT partition on a new type of BIOS called UEFI.

UEFI BIOS desktop systems are new since 2011. Windows 7 64-bit and Vista 64-bit operating systems support booting from UEFI and GPT without the need of a non-Microsoft device driver. This is the Windows native solution for booting a 3TB drive to a single partition.

Edited by dc3, 14 December 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#8 Tondelevo

Tondelevo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

Thank you for the link and your continued help, Dc3. I went ahead and made a 2TB partition on the drive and it actually allowed me to install Windows 8 perfectly from the CD onto the new drive. So now I have that, and about 700-750GB worth of unallocated space left on the drive that I'm assuming I can partition and assign a letter to then use like normal? One thing I am confused about though is everything is making it sound like if you have the newer BIOS, the UEFI, you should be able to use the full 3TB drive and boot from it, without having to partition it out. I know for a fact that I do have the UEFI BIOS, so if that's true why wasn't it letting me install Windows without partitioning it out first? I'm positive I set it up as a GPT and not an MBR.

Thanks for your continued advice, I'm perfectly fine with the current situation of just having to have sliced it into two partitions, it just kind of bothers me compared to having one 3TB partition instead.

EDIT: I did run across that Seagate Disc Wizard thing before, but like I said I figured it wouldn't be any use to me since according to what I had read I should have been able to install Windows just fine on the 3TB Drive, where as the Disc Wizard as I understand it is meant for people on Legacy BIOS, and all it does is partition it out into pieces to allow Windows utilize the full 3TB.

Edited by Tondelevo, 14 December 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#9 Tondelevo

Tondelevo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

I have one question after all the many hours I've done researching this and I haven't found a single firm answer yet. Is it possible to install Windows 8.1 64-bit on a drive bigger than 2.2TB, or more specifically a drive sized 3TB like the one I bought. Or no matter what I do, GPT or MBR, will it eventually have to be partitioned down to <2.2TB for Windows to install?

If somebody already tried explaining this to me, I apologize, just the way this system is set up is so confusing and I swear I've read conflicting answers to this basic question.

#10 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:36 AM

You never want to use the whole drive for one partition. You should always make it smaller. You can utilize the whole drive in RAID 1, etc.. Also can use it in a server install.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:56 AM

There is no reason you can't utilize the entire 3TB of a hard drive.  The only time that I would consider using two different partitions would be if I wanted to have the operating system installed on a separate partition and the non-Windows data, pictures, programs, etc. on a second partition.

I've already posted links to two websites (PCWorld and Seagate) which explain that it is possible to install Windows Vista 64-bit and Windows 7 64-bit if you have UEFI. GUID and GPT.

Here's a third, this one is from the Windows Support website.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:17 PM

In all fairness to Greg62702, there is a good reason for using a smaller partition for the operating system.  My point was that yes, you could utilize the entire 3TB if you really wanted to.  The information below is an excerpt from an article in PCWorld.

"Finding the Sweet Spot

Generally, the smaller you make the initial, primary partition on a hard drive, the better that volume will perform.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If upgrading to a solid-state drive isn't the cards for you right now, you can improve the performance of your hard drive through a technique colloquially known as "short stroking." In simple terms, short stroking a drive means partitioning it so as to use its highest-performing sectors. Hard drives perform differently depending on where data is stored on their platters. Knowing where the fastest sections of the drive are and partitioning the drive to take advantage of them are the keys to optimizing it."

Edited by dc3, 15 December 2013 - 03:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users