Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

email virus

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 robpetcro

robpetcro

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:34 PM

I had not used my PC for a few days and when I opened up my account there was a lot there, I browsed through them and decided to view this one first,it related to my bank and a recent Amazon order, I then committed the cardinal sin and opened the attachment, still can't believe I was so stupid.From this point things started to go wrong, I was unable to open programs or system tools each time getting at least one, often more, Microsoft warning that " ------- has stopped working". I then started browsing for solutions and downloaded combofix but this also resulted in error messages and would not work, I downloaded combofix again giving it a different name, this time it started but after 6 hours @ 4 staying on 90% I shut down. This morning I booted into safe mode and started again, all seemed to be going well until combofix told me to turn Microsoft essentials off, it was already off so I continued but combofix still did not recognise this and said it would continue at my own risk. I wondered if this was because I was in safe mode so I rebooted into normal mode and restarted, this time it scanned all the way to the end and that was it. It was then I decided I needed help, I am running vista home premium.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

Welcome aboard p22002758.gif

Since you ran Combofix which is not allowed in this forum....

Please follow the instructions in THIS GUIDE starting at Step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it HERE. Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 robpetcro

robpetcro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

I apologize for posting in the wrong place I checked before writing my post and thought this was the correct place,never mind. I just realised that Microsoft essentials being deactivated was the first indication of a problem, I now cannot access my firewall settings, keep getting "firewall settings stopped working". I have disconnected from the internet and am reluctant to reconnect, I noticed that point 5 says enable firewall. Where do I go from here, thank you. Rob

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:35 PM

If you can't you can't.

Post DDS logs in your new topic and explain what happens.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 robpetcro

robpetcro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:50 AM

Hi Broni,I downloaded dds onto a flash drive and then tried to transfer it to my pc but got error message "dds does diddly squat stopped working". I then downloaded dds again renaming it ABC but got same message.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

See if this will run...

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your Desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please copy and paste it to your reply.

Do NOT post any log in THIS topic.

My Website

p4433470.gif

#7 robpetcro

robpetcro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

Thanks Broni,if necessary I will certainly try your suggestion, I managed to use dds by booting into safe mode, I don't know if that will give all the results but I started a new post here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/517543/email-virus/.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:26 PM

p22003888.gif

My Website

p4433470.gif

#9 katy brit

katy brit

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:51 AM

An email virus can erase files, cause computer crashes and destroy information. It is important to remove email viruses as quickly as you know you have them because the longer they are allowed to reign on your computer, the more damage they can cause. Anti-virus companies such as McAfee report that in North America alone, 1 million machines can be infected in 30 days. Some of these email viruses are designed to re-install themselves if you delete them manually. Specially developed antivirus software and other adware and malware programs help rid your computer of all email viruses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users