Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The best laptops in your opinion

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kamina17

Kamina17

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:44 PM

Hi, so 2013 is about to end, what laptops do you think are the best this year in your opinion?

Edited by Kamina17, 14 December 2013 - 12:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enriqe

Enriqe

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:44 AM

I personally don't use a laptop, but I have seen folks that are very happy with Gateway, ASUS and Toshiba.

I have also seen other folks unhappy with Dell and HP.

Just my 2cents

E

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:15 AM

I've owned an Averatec (spelling?) which died just after the warranty was up. Two Toshiba laptops that I still have and now I own a CyberpowerPC gaming laptop. I've only had it for a few months but I'm liking it a lot so far.

So, Toshiba is a good buy, as far as I'm concerned. If you're looking for a gamer, check out CyberpowerPC.com they cost less than the Alienware :alien:  laptops. :blink:

"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

All business-class laptops should be good.

I don't have much experience with newer laptops, but my two-year-old Toshiba laptop isn't very good. It doesn't perform very well, it's a little unstable, and the keyboard is really poor quality and hard to accurately type with. Older Toshiba laptops were a lot better. Asus and Dell laptops are probably good, but Asus laptops sometimes have poor port placement (the ports are too close together to use all of them at the same time). Make sure you get a higher screen resolution than 1366x768.

#5 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

I have had 2 HP's in the past (both lasted me between 3 and 4 years using them for more than they were intended for... mostly heavy gaming) and now have an MSI gaming laptop, it was cheap(ish) and runs anything I throw at it like a champ, its super solid and just all around good.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

I service hundreds of laptops for clients and find a huge number of Lenovo units that have made the users very happy.  Some have abandoned their Gateway and ASUS units for Lenovo.  Toshiba has gained in popularity with their tough books and added a more robust drive to their other units too.  Personally, I own a Quismio (toshiba), two Dells and a Lenovo, each has been trouble free with no failures that weren't user caused.  (cracked screens, broken keyboard and the dreaded coffee spills)  The sad part is many have left the laptop/notebook market for tablets.  You think your phone was delicate.

#7 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

The best laptops, IMHO are ones that I can afford. Take this Toshiba Satellite C55D-A I snagged last month. It was only $258 (US). For that you get an AMD E1-1200 processor running at 1.4 Ghz. I needed it to learn Windows 8 for classes here, and it does a fine job playing videos to my big screen TV via an HDMI cable. Which is all that I expected of it.

To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:48 PM

Not a fan of the laptop.  I have one for work, but wouldn't buy one for myself.  That said I've been using the HP EliteBook Folio 9470m for over a year now and it is a great machine with a good power to weight ratio.

I can recommend the HP EliteBook line as a good laptop.  It you can get it with a solid state drive all the better.

The wife currently has an Asus with Windows 8 and a touch screen that she likes.  Prior to that she has a Toshiba that she was happy with.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:23 PM

HP. Theyre normally decent quality-but the thing that stands out to me is their outstanding customer service. Below that, ASUS and Toshiba-though Ive had lousy luck with toshiba customer support.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#10 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2014 - 08:47 AM

I bought a Toshiba Satellite L655-S5168 Laptop bought in 2011 (with Win 7 x64) which has run well, no issues so far.  I use it mainly for a backup PC to the Desktop PC with a KVM Switch.  I never liked Laptop keypads  :lol: .

It's great for travel since I use the DVD Drive a lot when I'm on the road.

#11 MeMe277

MeMe277

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:08 PM

I have a Toshiba and love it, but my husband got his first ever computer and it is a Chrome Book, and he has gone to town on it.  It is a nice little computer for someone that doesnt get too involved, and since there is hardly no  maintenance it is a real gem.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

I have an HP. Two main reasons why I bought it

1) It was on sale at Office Depot. I could have gotten it at any time between Sunday and Thursday. I chose to wait until Friday because that is when the Back to School Tax Free Weekend started in Alabama. Computers under $750 were exempt from sales tax so I did not have to pay that. Bought it in August 2012 so I would have something to take with me when I traveled or was in the hospital. So far, it's held up well and I have only had one easily solvable issue with it. The laptop has now become my main computer. I still have my desktop because I don't want to give that one up just yet.

2) My cousin works for HP and if I need any help and support I can contact him instead of calling HP.

My daughter has a Toshiba that has not held up very well. Her goal is to get a new NON-Toshiba laptop.

#13 LonnieHoover

LonnieHoover

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:40 AM

Ola! Has anyone used the Lenovo Yoga? I fancy the looks of it but don't know if I should be opting for it! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users