Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD Drive Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

Looking at SSDs on Amazon I ran across a couple of PSI-E SSDs. Has anyone used the4se and are they any better or worse than a 2.5 SSD? They do seem to be a little less expensive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

PSI-E SSDs or PCI-E SSDs?

I haven't used them but I prefer to keep the PCIexpress slots free. Drawbacks as I see it are they tie up a PCI-E slot. I prefer a SSD to be a 2.5" drive. That way it can be used anywhere, desktop or laptop. It is a personal preference however.

A 2.5" drive can be put in most computers. If need be to retrieve data they can be put in a external case as a pro.

Most people use a SSD 2.5" Drive. The SSD cards do not seem to have caught on nearly as well as the 2.5" drives have.

One thing to watch out for is that a major SSD maker has gone bankrupt and I would avoid that brand as a result.

OCZ files for bankruptcy toshiba offers to buy the assets

I do not know what effect that will have on warranties from them. I was avoiding the brand anyway. I use Intel and Samsung. This computer has a nice large Samsung SSD in it for example.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:36 PM

If I could count on a PCI-E based SSD booting without problems, I would sign on for one in a heartbeat.  OCZ  might be bought out by Toshiba, not sure on that one yet.  I always found it wise to avoid OCZ after getting burned a couple of times.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

Back in the day I used a PCI IDE controller to have 4 more drives. The card had it's own onboard bios chip and I had multiple OS's on seperate HD's. It was designed to also replace the motherboard failed controller. The SSD PCI-E I imgaine would have the same.

#5 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:18 AM

PSI-E SSDs or PCI-E SSDs?

I haven't used them but I prefer to keep the PCIexpress slots free. Drawbacks as I see it are they tie up a PCI-E slot. I prefer a SSD to be a 2.5" drive. That way it can be used anywhere, desktop or laptop. It is a personal preference however.

A 2.5" drive can be put in most computers. If need be to retrieve data they can be put in a external case as a pro.

Most people use a SSD 2.5" Drive. The SSD cards do not seem to have caught on nearly as well as the 2.5" drives have.

One thing to watch out for is that a major SSD maker has gone bankrupt and I would avoid that brand as a result.

OCZ files for bankruptcy toshiba offers to buy the assets

I do not know what effect that will have on warranties from them. I was avoiding the brand anyway. I use Intel and Samsung. This computer has a nice large Samsung SSD in it for example.

Good Luck

Roger

Yes I did mean PCI-E didn't even catch the typo.

#6 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:35 AM

I would be wary of those. There is one major problem that creeps up on newer boards when using PCI-E SSD's. That is the option ROM space. There is a very limited space available for the various add-ons. I have found machines where the video card alone was enough to consume the remaining option rom space after the motherboards built-in crap was done. If you have a board with very little built in, you may be ok. You may also be ok if the GPU has a smaller BIOS (such as the 6770's 64K firmware). But I certainly wouldn't count on these things without researching your particular scenario first.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users