Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No problems... but...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 myuser

myuser

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

Morning,

Currently I have no malware (to my knowledge) on my Win 7 Ultimate , 64-bit desktop.  I apply all MS updates promptly. I have installed MSE and I run a daily quick scan and a weekly full scan. No threats detected. I have also downloaded and ran SOPHOS Virus Removal Tool several times - clean each time. 

I am not foolish enough to think that my pc is 100% clean (it may be). There could be something lurking about that was not detected. I have read the lengthy and helpful cleanup process posted by tech savvy members here to help others. That is wonderful to have that kind of knowledge and help available here. 

My question: Should I just continue to be proactive as I have been in applying updates and doing regular scans - and not think I have a problem until it is certain I have one?

Thoughts/comments will be appreciated.

JJ

Edited by hamluis, 14 December 2013 - 03:35 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to General Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,373 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:15 PM

Hi myuser,

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :)

I certainly wish everyone was as conscientious as you were at ensuring you have a clean machine. Allow me to provide some of my tips for safe computing and introduce you to a few links that will educate you further in your quest for staying safe:

Some of my very own tips for safe computing:

• Make sure Realtime AV scanning is enabled. A Firewall is a definite plus.
  • If you can't afford a cost effective virus protection then use some free online tools.
  • Don't trust pop-ups that tell you that you may have spyware on your machine. Most of these are money making schemes designed to get you to buy their removal product, which in some cases also contain malware.
  • Make back-ups of your most personal files frequently by whatever means you have available, i.e. Tape, CD, DVD, USB Drives, Ghost programs, etc. You never know when you'll have to reformat and start from scratch and without current backups of your personal files, you're basically at a lose. You can always reformat and reinstall programs, but you cannot replace your data if you haven't made backups.
  • Be careful where you "surf". If you know you are going to click a site that is questionable, then at least be intelligent enough to disable javascript, java, ActiveX installations, etc... You "surf" these sites at your own risk.
  • Uninstall and quit using P2P networking programs like uTorrent, Kazaa, BearShare, eMule and Shareaza, etc. These are your most likely weakest links if you're using them. Primarily most stuff transferred is illegally obtained and if you won't give it up you eventually pay the consequences.
  • Don't give access to your computer to friends or family who appear to be clueless about what they are doing. Otherwise you'll come home from school/work one day and your computer will be trashed.
  • In my opinion, a PC is just that, a PC (Personal Computer). Don't allow your children to talk you into any Windows cracks, hacks, or tweaks that could turn your computer into an expensive doorstop.
  • When in doubt -- don't download it and don't install it until you've researched it.

Here are a few links you might find interesting that will educate and enhance your online surfing abilities:

"So how did I get infected in the first place?" by Tony Klein and updated by Corrine
How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected by quietman7
How to prevent Malware: by miekemoes

If you have any questions or concerns please don't hesitate to ask! Any member on this site will be more then happy to guide you in your quest for safe surfing and to prevent infection.

Keep up the good work! Other members may have a bit of advice as well, so please stay tuned!

Happy and safe computing!

Donna :)

Edited by DonnaB, 14 December 2013 - 01:16 PM.

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#3 myuser

myuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

Donna,

Thank you for the welcome and the helpful information.   All that you shared makes sense and I will be vigilant in applying those cautionary rules.

I have not read the articles provided by the links yet, but I will. Christmas shopping and other matters are at the top of the list for right now. I am delighted 

by the helpfulness of this community.

Thanks!

JJ

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

Usually when a computer is infected with malware there will be indications (signs of infection) something is wrong.

You may want to read these topics.
Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention of Malware Infection
About those Toolbars and Add-ons which change your browser settings - Removal Tips
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 myuser

myuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

Thanks, Bleepin' Janitor, for your helpful links, as well! Good stuff.... along with what Donna shared. 

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#7 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,373 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:51 PM

Very nice links!

I'd like to thank you as well quietman7. The links you provided consist of a plethora of information that is more up to date than the links I have been providing for those I reach out to help. Many will benefit from the additional information you provided. 

Again, thank you for posting!

Donna :)

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#8 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:19 AM

myuser,

In my opinion, there's hardly anything to add to the excellent info provided by DonnaB and quietman7 .

The only thing I'd recommend is to have a complete HDD cloning and/or Imaging routine in place.  For me, this is a must as it's hard to beat the peace of mind and protection of a complete tested shelf spare HDD in addition to a few full-HDD images stored on an external HDD, one that's disconnected to your PC except when you're running the backup images and testing the recovery method.

If you have expansion bays available in your Desktop PC, this item (Amazon link) is a real time-saver when cloning and imaging.

Kingwin Hot-swap SATA Rack

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

You're welcome Donna.

#10 myuser

myuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:10 PM

myuser,

In my opinion, there's hardly anything to add to the excellent info provided by DonnaB and quietman7 .

The only thing I'd recommend is to have a complete HDD cloning and/or Imaging routine in place.  For me, this is a must as it's hard to beat the peace of mind and protection of a complete tested shelf spare HDD in addition to a few full-HDD images stored on an external HDD, one that's disconnected to your PC except when you're running the backup images and testing the recovery method.

If you have expansion bays available in your Desktop PC, this item (Amazon link) is a real time-saver when cloning and imaging.

Kingwin Hot-swap SATA Rack

Thanks,

All of the links provided by others and your comments have been most helpful. I hadn't thought of installing an HDD but I can understand the peace of mind it will provide. And, it is a very inexpensive peace of mind! Sounds like I now need to shop for a bigger Christmas stocking for myself to hold the HDD.

Appreciate it!

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,141 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#12 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

Thanks,

All of the links provided by others and your comments have been most helpful. I hadn't thought of installing an HDD but I can understand the peace of mind it will provide. And, it is a very inexpensive peace of mind! Sounds like I now need to shop for a bigger Christmas stocking for myself to hold the HDD.

Appreciate it!

2yv1geu.jpg

I have a couple of spare HDD's for my Desktop and Laptop PC's.  I use one of them as a tested cloned spare for full-disk recovery needs and the other one for a test HDD, verifying image restorations and testing a 2nd or 3rd choice of cloning tools.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users