Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Reinstalling with USB

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Coolos

Coolos

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:30 AM

Hello, I recently had a series of events which has led me to decide to reinstall Windows 7. However, I do not have the CD so I am using an ISO USB. I want to reinstall, but keep all of my files, but I can not find out how to access the USB. I have tried changing the BIOS, but then found that this did not work. Does anybody know how to access an option to reinstall windows using an ISO on a USB?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:27 AM

Did you make the stick bootable or just copy an iso to it?

#3 Coolos

Coolos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:39 AM

I used the Windows 7 USB download tool to copy the information onto the USB.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:03 AM

Hello, I recently had a series of events which has led me to decide to reinstall Windows 7. However, I do not have the CD so I am using an ISO USB. I want to reinstall, but keep all of my files, but I can not find out how to access the USB. I have tried changing the BIOS, but then found that this did not work. Does anybody know how to access an option to reinstall windows using an ISO on a USB?

If you reinstall Windows 7 you will lose all of your data, pictures, documents, and programs which have been added after the original installation of the operating system.

Please explain the events which led you to decide to do a re-installation.

When you state that you do not have a CD, does this mean no disc or no optical drive?

Where did you create the bootable flash drive?

If you need instruction for doing this there is a good tutorial at Windows Seven Forums.  Scroll down to Part 2.

Did you change the boot order in the BIOS so that the USB drive is the first device in the boot order and the hdd the second?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

In my computer do you see the usb stick? If not you may have to refresh the ports.

#6 Coolos

Coolos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:12 AM

I wanted to do the option to "upgrade" my windows, as I do not think that deletes all files and everything else. I decided to do this because my computer somehow got messed up to where it will not start past the screen with options to repair or start normally. However, when I go to repair on this screen, all options, such as system restore, give me errors and do not work.

I do not have the install disc to reinstall windows 7, as the laptop did not come with one.

To create the bootable flash drive, I used instructions exactly the same as the ones you provided in the link, and I have checked the link and confirmed that I did it correctly.

#7 Coolos

Coolos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

How can I get to "My Computer"? I can not log in to any accounts, and the computer boots up until the point where it asks to repair or start normally. Starting normally does not work.

#8 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

Thank you for the info, now we know where you are at in this
process. Did you do an F8 to the advanced boot menu to try
safe mode? (does or does not that option work?)

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

You still haven't answered my question regarding the boot order.

You may be able to resolve this problem with a repair installation.  This will not effect your data.  You can use the instructions below.  These were written for the use of a disc, but will work just the same with the USB drive.

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

The ISO image will need to be burned to a DVD in order to create a bootable installation disc.

1a)  To burn a ISO file to a DVD please download ImgBurn and install it.

2a)  Insert a blank DVD into your CD/DVD drive tray, and then close the tray.

3a)  Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

4a)  Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

5a)  Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

6a)  Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable DVD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Coolos

Coolos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:43 AM

dc3, I tried that just now, and I got to part 6b. The operating system shown is Windows 7 Home Premium (recovered), which is about 461,000 MB large. I know that I have the right version of Windows 7, and the right one for 32 bit processor, but it comes up with an error sayins

"This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows."

#11 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:04 PM

just curious did you do any changes in your settings like sata to ahci?

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

Did you have SP1 installed on this version of Windows 7?

Did the version you used to create the bootabler USB have SP1?

Do you have more than one installation of Windows on this computer?

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:08 PM

just curious did you do any changes in your settings like sata to ahci?

They are able to boot from the USB device, so this should be a moot point.

#14 Coolos

Coolos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:09 PM

I am honestly not sure what version service pack I had, but I am using SP1 on the bootable USB. I did not have more than one installation of Windows. Is there anything I can do to find out what version of service pack I have?

#15 Coolos

Coolos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

On a separate note, I went to "load drivers" and I have 3 hard drives and 1 removable disk.

One hard drive is called "recovery(C:)" and it has 6.33 GB free of 14.6.

Another is called Local Disk(D:) and has 0 bytes used and 0 bytes free.\

A third is called Boot(X:) and has 29 MB free of 31.4.

Shouldnt the local disk have all of my files and information on it? And does this mean all of my files are gone, since it has 0 bytes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users