Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games prone to crashing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HarryMuana

HarryMuana

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:42 AM

Not sure if I'm on the right subforum, since there were multiple that fit this topic. If not: I'm sorry!

Ok, so basically about 2-3 years ago I let my pc get built by someone I thought was very good at such things. I asked for a gaming pc around 2000€. I didn't know bleep about hardware back then, and I still know little about it. I do know now though that not every part is that optimal. Games like natural selection 2 crash very often, tf2 crashes from time to time and also games like portal might start crashing if I have alt tabbed.

My current specs are:

Processor: AMD Athlon™ II X4 640 3.00 GHz
RAM: 4,00 Gb (3,25 available)
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series
EDIT: ALL SPECS (speccy): http://speccy.piriform.com/results/YnRt7Mi4tetUtOAgHsWPxbU

So first , it's a 32-bit system, so I can't upgrade to 8Gb RAM, and this is where I THINK the problem is. Is there an easy/cheap way to upgrade to 64-bit? 

Another source of the crashing could be that I'm overclocking. I'm using ASUS smartdoctor for that. I just closed it though, and pressed "no" when it asked to keep voltage and clock settings, then ran natural selection (which crashes the most). Again I couldn't get through the tutorial without crashing.

I hope someone can help me!

Edited by HarryMuana, 14 December 2013 - 03:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:49 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 HarryMuana

HarryMuana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:06 PM

Okay, added the link to the file I uploaded with speccy.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:10 PM

I see nothing wrong in your specs, and I would definitely not overclock so reset your CMOS back to optimal settings and see if the crashes continue.

#5 HarryMuana

HarryMuana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:13 AM

I googled a bit about natural selections specific case (because there are a lot more crashes), and it says that it uses quite a lot of ram.
Now I used this method: http://windows7themes.net/32-bit-use-bcdedit-set-increaseuserva-to-increase-ram-used-by-single-application.html

to get 1GB extra ram available. And that fixed that!

To stop the overclock, do I just uncheck "enable Hyperdrive" option in smartdoctor? Hyperdrive is the overclocking part of smartdoctor (it also does some fan control which I would probably still need). 

Also, is that CMOS reset really necessary? It seems like a lot to go through: http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS
Especially since there are not really much problems now other then that I need to put a lot of things on low settings due to ram shortage.

I saw that my system can run on 64-bit though. So maybe I should consider upgrading that and inserting 4GB extra ram.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:46 AM

Yes uncheck that, and then enter your BIOS via hitting DEL key and load optimal defaults that will clear out any overclocking that may have been done via Windows, and yes upgrade to Windows 64bit and add more RAM.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:32 AM

Though your system can run 64-bit, you may need to change a setting in your BIOS to enable it.  Some motherboards automatically change settings to allow 64-bit, other older motherboards do not.  To enable 64-bit, you also need to have a 64-bit operating system installed.  If you don't already have Windows 7 64-bit installed, you will need to install it.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users