Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand New Dell Laptop with internet loading slow even with full bars

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 soozabelle

soozabelle

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

We just bought this new laptop less than a week ago and we've been having issues with internet connectivity ever since.  The internet will randomly slow down even when the connection is shown to be full or almost full. When we have these spells it can take 45-90 seconds for a very simple webpage to load. These spells generally last from 2 minutes to an hour or so, although we had a problem for most of the day yesterday. We have Webroot antivirus, so I don't think it's a virus. We assumed it was our internet and contacted the provider who came out and replaced the router. We're still having problems with occational very slow page loading. We have Windows 8 and the computer is a Dell Inspiron 15 3521. We generally prefer Firefox. I went to the Dell website to see if any drivers needed updating, but it's not showing anything relevent. Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,430 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

Hi soozabelle,

The internet will randomly slow down even when the connection is shown to be full or almost full.

"Randomly".... caught my attention.

I am assuming you are connected by wireless. How do you have your network set up? Modem to router and connected to router wireless?

Have you ever had any other computers set up via wireless before? If not, there is a strong possibility that your router is not secured and someone may be piggybacking on your connection which can, and will, slow your connection down drastically when someone "randomly" decides to take advantage of your unsecured connection. Kinda like turning on more than one faucet in your home and you lose water pressure throughout the house.

That is the first thing I would look into. Check that and let us know.

If that is not the problem, other members may have some advice as well, so please stay tuned! ;)

Donna :)

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:17 AM

Try using also the wired connection if possible to rule out interferences factors. You could try running a speedtest during this lag times or compare other wireless devices bandwith speed by checking on their end. Using a different browser would also confirmed if its a laptop connection problem or Firefox has some plugins/toolbars/addons installed that is causing this issues.

Tekken

#4 soozabelle

soozabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for the replies. We do have a modem attached to a wireless router. We have a secure connection-- we have to put in a passcode to get on the internet. I'll try to just attach manually to the modem and see if we still have the lag. It's very strange because this is our second laptop and we had no problems with our old computer. I'll let you know what happens when I use a different browser and plug straight into the modem.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:47 PM

Ok, just do post back of any results and try looking for updated wireless card drivers on manufacturing support site also just in case. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#6 soozabelle

soozabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:26 PM

Ok, so it definately appears to be something with the laptop. We also have a kindle fire that has no problem connecting to our wireless internet. I haven't had much luck with trying to attach manually to the modem-- the lag times have shortened considerably so by the time I go in and disconnect the wireless router, it shows we have a connection again. Sometimes it shows full bars on the connectivity and takes a long long time to load pages and sometimes it will show the little yellow triangle and we get an error message for the page we're trying to open. This is happening on and off for an hour or so-- connecting, disconnecting, connecting disconnecting. Then it works fine for hours.

How should I update the my wireless card driver? Should I do it through Dell?

Edited by soozabelle, 22 December 2013 - 10:31 PM.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:56 AM

Yes, you can check the latest drivers here http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/Product/inspiron-15-3521 Download the correct Network card driver then go to device manager and compare the installed version driver by right-clicking Properties - Driver tab. To uninstall, just right-click uninstall (no need to reboot) then run the downloaded driver.

Tekken

#8 IGitrDunn

IGitrDunn

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:53 PM

Ok reading this I found alot of similarities. The big main one is WEBROOT! I had a Two day old computer that is temperamental about loading web pages. It will connect quickly at times and other load half a page then get stuck or ill get cannot display this page. My guess is it has to do with the default settings of webroot. I'm not too sure though as I am still looking into trying to figure out a solution.

#9 soozabelle

soozabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

I just updated the driver last night and things are going better. (Cross fingers and hope this continues to be the case.)

Hmm.... interesting thought with Webroot. I used Norton before and didn't have any problems, but I did have to reset some of Norton's settings. I might have to research that as well.

#10 soozabelle

soozabelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

Started being weird again today. :smash:  On and off all day it will either disconnect or slow down dramatically. I have found that if I click disconnect and then reconnect it works. 

#11 IGitrDunn

IGitrDunn

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2013 - 07:20 AM

I am having the same problems with a new laptop. It will work fine for ten minutes then won't load a page for awhile then magically start working again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users