Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which antivirus and malware programs should I use together?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

When compared to other security tools the advantage of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is that it uses a proprietary low level driver similar to some anti-rootkit (ARK) scanners to locate hidden files and special techniques which enable it to detect a wide spectrum of threats including active rootkits, zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". The new scanning engine in Malwarebytes version 2.0 has some enhancements to deal with current threats that the old version did not have. Malwarebytes's technology in the Premimum version provides real-time protection at startup to prevent the installation of most new malware, stopping malware distribution at the source, proactively monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected.

Malwarebytes is designed to detect and remove malware effectively by checking memory and looking at the most prevalent places and known launch points (Memory Objects, Startup Objects, Registry Objects, and File system Objects) for active malware infections. The THREAT SCAN also detects any running malicious files regardless of its location so even if the malware is running from a location not checked by the file system portion of the scan, the THREAT SCAN would still detect it. This check includes not only running processes, but also loaded modules such as .DLLs injected into other processes. Malwarebytes uses heuristics that bypasses polymorphic blackhat packers & encryption, MD5, check memory (loaded .exes and .dlls), unique strings, autostart load points and hotspots (everywhere current malware is known to load from) and multiple other proprietary malware checks which are not discussed in public to safeguard the program from malware writers who would use that information for nefarious purposes.

Enabling Advanced Heuristics Engine (Shuriken) under the 'Detection and Protection' Option section enables a second method of heuristic analysis to Malwarebytes detection techniques. Heuristic analysis is always employed, even when this option is not selected.

Bleeping Computer is a family oriented site where we offer assistance to those who know very little about computing. As such, our forum discussion board is primarily targeted more for the novice user as they comprise most of our membership. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium is easy enough for these folks to install and use rather than attempt to explain a variety of other more complicated ways to maintain the same level of protection.
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 Kaosu

Kaosu

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:21 PM

When compared to other security tools the advantage of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is that it uses a proprietary low level driver similar to some anti-rootkit (ARK) scanners to locate hidden files and special techniques which enable it to detect a wide spectrum of threats including active rootkits, zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". The new scanning engine in Malwarebytes version 2.0 has some enhancements to deal with current threats that the old version did not have. Malwarebytes's technology in the Premimum version provides real-time protection at startup to prevent the installation of most new malware, stopping malware distribution at the source, proactively monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected.

Malwarebytes is designed to detect and remove malware effectively by checking memory and looking at the most prevalent places and known launch points (Memory Objects, Startup Objects, Registry Objects, and File system Objects) for active malware infections. The THREAT SCAN also detects any running malicious files regardless of its location so even if the malware is running from a location not checked by the file system portion of the scan, the THREAT SCAN would still detect it. This check includes not only running processes, but also loaded modules such as .DLLs injected into other processes. Malwarebytes uses heuristics that bypasses polymorphic blackhat packers & encryption, MD5, check memory (loaded .exes and .dlls), unique strings, autostart load points and hotspots (everywhere current malware is known to load from) and multiple other proprietary malware checks which are not discussed in public to safeguard the program from malware writers who would use that information for nefarious purposes.

Enabling Advanced Heuristics Engine (Shuriken) under the 'Detection and Protection' Option section enables a second method of heuristic analysis to Malwarebytes detection techniques. Heuristic analysis is always employed, even when this option is not selected.

Bleeping Computer is a family oriented site where we offer assistance to those who know very little about computing. As such, our forum discussion board is primarily targeted more for the novice user as they comprise most of our membership. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium is easy enough for these folks to install and use rather than attempt to explain a variety of other more complicated ways to maintain the same level of protection.

A bulk of your post is largely irrelevent since I did address each additional feature and its overall effectiveness. I understand how the product works, but the core problem is that the real-time protection just isn't all that wonderful. Sure, it will prevent some infections, but it just isn't as effective as other free solutions.

My main complaint with the program is that its heuristics engine doesn't seem any better than a generic set of behavior and API blocking techniques, which are not that effective when dealing with modern malware. The product does not seem to utilize more advaned heuristic technology, such as using virtualization outside of the generic set of Microsoft API's, proper code emulation, etc. This is one of the main reasons why the real-time protection suffers and pales in comparison to most modern scanning engines that Anti-Virus products use.

I would love to see their real-time protection beefed up other than just some intermediate heuristics and traffic blocking. If they offered more interesting or unique features to go along with their real-time protection, then I would be more than happy to purchase their paid version. Overall, they are a great company with a great product, I am just sad that the real-time protection isn't more effective when compared to alternative solutions that can be freely and easily implemented.

The last part is what really makes your case. I can completely agree that if you're dealing with novice users that know very little about technology, then I can see the program having much more value, since they likely won't want to look into alternatives or be hardening their operating system beyond installing some software.

We can agree to have different opinions. I think we both made some valid points.

Have a nice day.

Edited by Kaosu, 25 June 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#18 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,945 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:44 AM

If you feel that strongly the Premium version is a waste of money and resources, then you can always voice this opinion in a topic at the Malwarebytes forum where their staff can address your analysis of their product.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#19 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:23 PM

I am using Norton NIS With free version of Malwarebytes, free version seems to provide some real time protection. In any case, the combo seems to work well. What say you?

Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#20 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,945 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2014 - 08:07 AM

A 14-day trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium is available as an option when first installing the free version so all users can test the real-time protection component for a period of two weeks. When the limited time period expires those features will be deactivated and locked. Enabling the Protection Module feature again requires registration and purchase of a license key. If you continue to use the free version, there is no requirement to buy a license...you can just use it as a stand-alone scanner. Users who have previously completed the trial will not be prompted to start the trial upon upgrade or reinstallation.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#21 Tahman

Tahman

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:12 AM

I am subscribed to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Norton 360 and Systweak's Advanced System Optimizer 3.  I am happy to continue using MBAM and N360, but I am worried about SASO.  Is SASO safe?  Is it compatible with MBAM and N360?

#22 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,945 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

Advanced System Optimizer is a comprehensive optimization suite by Systweak (the creators of Advanced System Protector, RegClean Pro and other junkware) that purports to improve performance, make repairs and enhance the speed of a computer. It includes a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer and several other features. These types of optimization programs and the claims they make are borderline scams. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are a marketing ploy intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product. I would not trust any results the program detects as problematic or needing repair nor recommend using the options to fix them.

I recommend you remove it.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.
Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Be sure to read Microsoft's support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities in that topic...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#23 Tahman

Tahman

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

Thanks to quietman7 for response.

The first and only time I sought assistance using the 1-800 helpline I encountered a hyperbolic super sales pitch for a USD$495.00 pa comprehensive support contract.

Edited by Tahman, 04 July 2014 - 06:08 PM.

#24 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,945 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

Sales pitches are not uncommon. Generally they use scare tactics to goad folks into paying for something they don't need.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#25 gonzal13

gonzal13

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:48 PM

I'm kind of confused because as I understand it, you're not supposed to use 2 or more "anti" programs together in case they conflict? However, a friend of mine recommended using one anti-virus and one anti-malware, as long as they don't run active shields together.

I'm currently using Avast Free Edition as my anti-virus (with active scanning) and Malwarebytes as my anti-malware (run on demand) Is there anything wrong with this configuration? Should I be running more (or less) software?

I would remove through the safe mode the Avast program and then reboot and get Norton Security. Also with Norton you can download a separate program NP.exe which updates itself about one every two months I have used them for about 30 years. Then go to SOPHOS.com and download their free virus program. It only is active when you manually activate it. I like the pro version of MalwareBytes also. I also use occasionally Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool (KB890830) - Setup Self-Extracting Cabinet and Microsoft Support Emergency Response Tool. Also download DAP.com swift download program, and you can configure it with Norton to check for a virus before opening the program.

#26 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,945 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2015 - 07:06 PM

You have replied to a topic almost two years old. The OP made his decision in Dec 2013 and has not been back since.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#27 gonzal13

gonzal13

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 14 January 2017 - 03:40 AM

Actually I have four back ups of my C drive. I have used along with Norton Security works great. Also Norton has a military grade 1 vault. It stores all my paswords. When opened, I just to to the Icon and it opens the site i.e. (My bank account)

I also had two data drive. One is a backup. All Hard drives are 2T Sata drives. Fortunately I bought a PC that has 4 slots so I can just slide in a Sata drive and  connects to acircut board.

#28 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,945 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:36 AM

You too have replied to an old topic related to anti-virus and anti-malware solutions. There are numerous newer discussion topics with more up to date information.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#29 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 24 January 2017 - 12:59 AM

Hello,Excuse for the interruption but I think you should use BDTS and Malwarebytes premium,that is a very good compination,its expensive I know but I think it is worth the money:Sit back and relax security. :notme:

#30 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,945 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2017 - 07:01 AM

Most Internet Security products include anti-virus and firewall protection plus various other features depending on the software vendor...and for those reasons it is called a Security suite (package). Suites tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses accorded for each feature they incorporate.

I'm not an advocate of suites. All-in-one tools and suites are filled with extra features (including "bells & whistles") which typically use more system resources...leaving a larger footprint...and they typically cost more money. Suites tend to have varying degrees of strengths and weaknesses accorded for each feature they incorporate. Internet Security Suites include a Firewall component, which IMO is unnecessary since the Windows built-in Firewall is sufficient and provides adequate protection. Further, many folks also use a router which is essentially a hardware firewall.In contrast, separate tools are designed, built and maintained with a greater focus in a specific area so they are generally of better quality, more effective at what they are designed to do and leave a smaller footprint. This means the program's performance for that particular feature is usually superior than their all-in-one counterpart. Further, all-in-one tools generally do not allow the user as much flexibility in tailoring program settings and usage.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users