Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which antivirus and malware programs should I use together?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Zandareagle

Zandareagle

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

I'm kind of confused because as I understand it, you're not supposed to use 2 or more "anti" programs together in case they conflict? However, a friend of mine recommended using one anti-virus and one anti-malware, as long as they don't run active shields together.

I'm currently using Avast Free Edition as my anti-virus (with active scanning) and Malwarebytes as my anti-malware (run on demand) Is there anything wrong with this configuration? Should I be running more (or less) software?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

Avast and Malwarebytes work well together. I also use Super Antispyware, and Spybot Search and Destroy. Each pick up things another may miss. Many recomend Adaware also. I don't use it only because of the constant  nags to buy the full version.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,905 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:03 PM

Choosing a security toolkit with anti-virus, firewall and anti-malware programs is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, available technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use and your system. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone.

For more specific information to consider, please read:
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Zandareagle

Zandareagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:03 AM

Alright, I guess I will add Super Anti Spyware to the list then! I've had some problems with Spybot in the past so I will avoid that.

Any other recommendations? I know there is no 100% answer but with the bewildering amount of anti-malware programs out there I am not sure which to pick. Googling gets me reviews but doesn't really tell me whether or not the programs work well together. 

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,905 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:02 AM

I recommend taking advantage of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Pro) Protection Module in the full version which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware, Stopping Malware Distribution at the Source. This technology runs at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Malicious Website Blocking (IP Protection) is part of the Protection Module and works after it is enabled. When attempting to go to a potential malicious website, Malwarebytes will block the attempt and provide an alert. IP Protection is also designed to block incoming connections it determines to be malicious. More information about IP Protection can be found in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Malicious Website Blocking FAQs.

I recommend using SUPERAntiSpyware Free as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. The free version does not provide real-time protection or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. This gives you another tool to use as a second opinion or in the event of malware infection where some of your tools may be disabled.

I recommend using WinPatrol, a versatile system monitoring program that utilizes a small memory footprint and offers a lot of features such as:
  • Takes a snapshot of critical system resources and provides alerts if any changes occur.
  • Startup Manager which works much better than MSConfig.
  • Tracks programs that have been installed on your system and monitor the location Windows uses to store Uninstall information.
  • Alerts to changes in programs that run at startup.
  • Alerts if another program has removed a Startup program.
  • Has the ability to delay the launch of a Startup programs.
  • Monitors toolbars, registry modifications, changes to file extensions and changes to the HOSTS file.
I also recommend using SpywareBlaster. For more information about this program, please read SpywareBlaster System Requirements & Supported Browsers.

Finally, you can supplement your security tools and get a second opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#6 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:33 AM

I'm kind of confused because as I understand it, you're not supposed to use 2 or more "anti" programs together in case they conflict? However, a friend of mine recommended using one anti-virus and one anti-malware, as long as they don't run active shields together.

I'm currently using Avast Free Edition as my anti-virus (with active scanning) and Malwarebytes as my anti-malware (run on demand) Is there anything wrong with this configuration? Should I be running more (or less) software?

I've been running Norton 360 AV simultaneously with MBAM Pro on 2 Win 7(x64) PC's for about a year and have had no issues with scanning conflicts.

The basic rule of thumb is to run only 1 AV product at the same time but that doesn't apply to MBAM since it's a specific anti-malware tool and its scan engine works differently than many AV products.

Quietman7 says it so well as always; MBAM Pro is the best approach alongside your AV product since the Pro version provides real-time anti-malware protection vs the on-demand free version.  The best protection methods will provice proactive protection (Pro version) in contrast to reactive (free version) protection.

One thing to keep in mind as you research and choose your AV product is that this topic is very diverse and is often polarized when discussing the topic at forums and blog sites.

Any AV choice will be the right one if it works for your particular machines.

The other things to keep in mind is that there's no 100% protection scheme out there since the number of cyber threats are huge and new ones get into the cyberspace on a daily basis.

With that known, the best approach (my opinion) is to maintain a routine backup plan with the usual safe-surfing practices.

I'm a fairly safe PC guy :) and I've averaged about 1 intrusion per year (that required cleanup scans or installing a spare clone HDD to recover) over the last 8 years of home 'net use and in my case, nearly all intrusions occurred at reputable 'net sites that I visit daily.  I've never been infected by any e-mail's, attachments.

Since installing Norton AV with MBAM Pro, I recently passed the 1-year mark without intrusions that penetrated their defenses.

#7 viktik

viktik

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:10 AM

360 internet security 4.8

uses bitdefender engine along with its own antivirus engine. QVM II and 360cloud engine.

free and effective.

http://cyberraiden.wordpress.com/2013/07/21/qihoo-360-internet-security-2013/

www.360safe.com/pc.html‎

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php?chart=chart2&year=2013&month=12&sort=1&zoom=3

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php?chart=chart1&year=2013&month=9&sort=1&zoom=3

Edited by viktik, 15 December 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,905 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:54 AM

Qihoo 360 Internet Security may be free but without independent testing sources, I would be skeptical as to its effectiveness.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#9 Zandareagle

Zandareagle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

Alright, so just to confirm, MBAM Pro won't interfere with Avast's real-time shields? 

If that is the case, I'll probably go with MBAM, Avast and Super Anti-Spyware as my suite. 

Thanks for all the recommendations and advice!

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,905 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 07:55 PM

Alright, so just to confirm, MBAM Pro won't interfere with Avast's real-time shields? 

If that is the case, I'll probably go with MBAM, Avast and Super Anti-Spyware as my suite.

There should not be any issues...that is the combo on have set up on my wife and daughter's laptops,
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#11 drtoivowillmann

drtoivowillmann

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:21 AM

Many people say you must not use more than 1 antivirus on your PC. That's a lie! You can.

* None of your Antivirus should be "jealous". Bit-Defender, for example is, beause uninstalls anyother Antivirus, when you put it into your PC.

* One of your Antivirus has to be the "boss" and the others its "slaves". The "boss" is the only responsable for real-time scanning. Realtime-scanning of the "slaves" has to be desactivated. They only should run when you clic them, to scan the whole HD after the boss has done so, to detect more bugs.

* Avast Free as the "boss" and Malwarebytes Free as its "slave" are an excellent combination, first because free Malwarebytes (not its trial version) does not have any realtime scanning at all, and second, while Avast Free is almost blind por PUPs and PUMs, Malwarebytes detect them almost all, after complete "scanning at initiation" with Avast Free.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,905 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:49 AM

Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. See the IMPORTANT NOTE in this topic: Choosing an Anti-Virus Program

Even Microsoft and major Anti-virus vendors recommend that you install and run only one anti-virus program at a time. Their statements on the issue are provided in the above link.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not an anti-virus program nor should it be used as a replacement. Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like anti-virus software so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute. The following quote is a statement from the Malwarebytes Team.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

Larry Tate
Product Support

Thus, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware program...together they provide the most comprehensive protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#13 Kaosu

Kaosu

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

Almost all modern Anti-Virus products detect all forms of malicious software. Gone are the days when Anti-Virus products focused their efforts on generic rats, worms, hack tools and their variants. I agree, back in those dark ages of computing, you really did need a specialized anti-malware solution to be running beside your Anti-Virus product for optimal protection against the widest variety of threats. However, the current landscape is vastly different from those times and the old ways of thinking need to shift toward current times and not old beliefs.

MalwareBytes Professional does not really offer anything that your current Anti-Virus product does not already do, so running the real-time shields of the PRO version quickly becomes redundant.

[+] The PRO version blocks IP addresses that are linked to malicious activity

You can achieve the same effect by using blacklists which are freely available on the Internet. In addition to this, most security suites already include this feature, and In the rare event that your current Anti-Virus product has no support for this type of feature, there is always your HOSTS file, browser extensions which can utilize well established blacklists, free software like Spyware Blaster, etc.

[+] The PRO version automatically scans your downloads and new files

It only scans downloads AFTER they have finished, and it does not seem to support some protocols which would greatly benefit from this feature. All-in-all, this PRO feature is comparable to the free version as far as effectiveness goes. (right-click and scan downloads)

[+] The PRO version uses advanced heuristics to detect 0-day threats as they emerge.

I honestly wouldn't call the generic forms of behavior/API blocking it uses "advanced".  Modern Anti-Virus products use much more effective forms of heuristics to detect unknown malware; some of which even take advantage of hardware accelerated virtualization, which blows MalwareBytes out of the water. I would much rather reinforce my current Anti-Virus with something like AppLocker over adding another layer of unofficially tested generic behavior and API blocking.

[+] The PRO version can schedule scans and automatically update.

While this true, it is really worth paying for? I mean, how hard is it to keep the free version updated and run a scan once a day/week? All this PRO feature does is save you a few clicks, especially when you consider that your current Anti-Virus is already running on a schedule and updating automatically.

My Recommendation For a Home User

- A reputable Anti-Virus Product (Avast, Kaspersky, etc.)

- On-demand scanners as a second opinion (MalwareBytes Free, SuperAntiSpyware Free, Emsisoft Emergency Repair Kit)

- Prevention software like SpywareBlaster, a well maintained HOSTS file, free filtering through OpenDNS, and browser extensions capable of using public blacklists (malware domains, etc.)

- Keep your OS and software up-to-date. I recommend Secunia PSI to help automate this task.

- Use common sense and follow standard best practices while online.

Conclusion

No one product can detect all threats, so it is a good idea to use multiple scanners to detect possible threats. However, I think running their real-time shields is a waste of money and resources. Users here seem to think the PRO version offers a high degree of additional security, but most of what it offers is extremely redundant, inferior, or can be easily replaced using free software. So, even if it is technically possible to run its real-time shields along with the real-time shields of your Anti-Virus product, it just isn't worth it, in my humble opinion.

Edited by Kaosu, 24 June 2014 - 07:58 PM.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,905 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:04 PM

You are entitled to your opinion but most of our staff (and many members) will disagree with your conclusion in regards to Malwarebytes. As such, we will continue to recommend taking advantage of Malwarebytes Premium (Pro).
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#15 Kaosu

Kaosu

• Members
  • 173 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:15 PM

You are entitled to your opinion but most of our staff (and many members) will disagree with your conclusion in regards to Malwarebytes. As such, we will continue to recommend taking advantage of Malwarebytes Premium (Pro).

Could you please elaborate on why you believe this? I mean, I did address all of the additional features of the PRO version and how they are easily replaceable or inferior to existing technologies, which won't waste your system resources or money on a yearly subscription. Do you have anything else to offer other than "everyone else is doing it, so..."?

I mean, the PRO version will provide a very marginal increase in security over using the free version regularly, but not enough to justify the system resources and yearly subscription. If it were a one-time fee, then I could see paying for the marginal gain, but it just does not seem worth $30/year.

I am not trying to be argumentative, but I think your whole rebuttle is based on popular opinion while mine addresses specific limitations/shortcomings of the software.

Edited by Kaosu, 24 June 2014 - 08:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users