Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Receive E-mail

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lulubelle

lulubelle

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 05 May 2006 - 03:23 PM

I would be very grateful if any one can help me with my e-mail. I have just gone on to Broadband(Tiscali), and I was very happy with it, until I found out that I was not receiving any e-mails. I can send e-mails OK, just can't receive. I have been on to the help line, but I find it very hard to understand what is being said to me, also I am not very computer "savvy". Really hope someone can help me, hopefully explained in simple terms. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 04:49 PM

I am assuming you are use a POP E-mail account, downloading your E-mails into a client on your computer (like Outlook Express, for example).
The first thing to check is to make sure your E-mail account in the client is set up properly. You will need to get the necessary information from your ISP (assuming the E-mail is provided by them). Most E-mail providers have very complete step by step instructions for configuring your application to use their service (look for FAQ or POP Email). Then carefully review and copy-read the server settings to make certain you have entered all the required information exactly as they show.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 05 May 2006 - 04:49 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:21 PM

one would think though since you can send mail that you should be able to get your mail thru webmail or on your IP's home page or web page. Also, when I changed to broadband from dialup there were a couple settings that I changed in AVG and possibly in Zone Alarm. If you have these programs I would be happy to find them again point them out to you.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 lulubelle

lulubelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 04:09 AM

Thanks for your reply guys,
I have since found out that the culprit was my firewall (Macafee), and after changing some settings, everything is working OK. Thanks again.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:38 AM

Thank YOU for posting back with the solution you found for your problem. Such replies may help others who are reading this thread with the same or a similar problem.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users