Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Methods for improving small LAN throughput?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cognus

Cognus

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

hi folks

I have a small network that is functioning well except for throughput - its fast enough for small tasks but really needs to up its game for media.

I have two routers with one serving as the lead dog and the AP for WIFI, the other in Wireless Client-Bridge mode. I have a HTPC by cat5 on the secondary router which is also rebroadcasting the AP/SSID and works quite well at that.

I have a Server [running XPP] wire-attached to the main Router, and a number of WIFI-only clients: Windows XP, windows 7, Windows 8.1, iOS, and Android. Everybody can deal with the Server fine and internet speed ranges from the max I'm paying for to roughly half that.

However, curiously, when I move large files or, say a folder full of files, from one of the wifi clients to/from server, it appears I'm only doing 10mb/s.  All the nic's are wireless "n" as are the routers.

Can someone point me to a tutorial or best-practices or something that might tell me:

- standard WIFI adapter settings/tweaks to improve throughput [i.e. flow control on some doesn't work well ..]

- Server tweaks to optimize for streaming duty

- Router tweaks for the environment?

- utilities that might run tests and surface routes that don't do so well....

your help is much appreciated 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

It is possible that you are saturating the AP. Try doing a Ping test between various machines on the network. It is possible that it can be an Anti-Virus or Firewall issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users