Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WizKid99

WizKid99

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

Im running an xps 410 and it has a big problem with the network. Okay, let me explain my dilemma. In the tray it says that I have A full connection to the internet. But here is the nasty, scream bloody murder part. I cant do a single @#$% thing that is Internet related. Errors( Chrome-attached picture,Internet Explorer-"Cannot Display Webpage",Steam-Says it cant connect, and prompts offline mode,Star Trek Online-Tried Connecting ## times) Nothing will work. I am getting a little pissed off. Im practically panicking right now. "I WILL NOT RETORE MY COMPUTER"!!!!!!! Please help me Attached File  image.jpg   56.54KB   0 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 21 December 2013 - 03:20 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

First off, welcome to BC !

Second off - relax, stop panicking, you are among friends !

Third - your problem. First thing to do - click on the little wi-fi symbol at the right hand end of your taskbar and see if it shows the name ( the SSID ) of your router and states 'Connected'. If it doesn't, then there is a connection problem between the computer and the router, but from what you have said this isn't the case - but it helps to check.

Next, RIGHT click on the little wi-fi symbol and select 'Open network and sharing centre'. This brings up quite a large dialogue box. At the top of it is 'map' of your network connection with your computer on the left, a house - representing your router - in the middle, and the wide, wide web on the right. These places are joined by lines. If there is a red 'X' on the line between your router and the internet there is a faulty ADSL connection. Check that the wire connecting the router to a phone socket is correctly plugged at both ends. Then switch the router off, wait 30 seconds or so, then switch it back on and see if you are connected, ie, web pages display.

If they do, super. If they don't, and you still have a red 'X' on your network map, then it is time to check that you have all the necessary filters in place and that all your phone lines are properly connected as far back as the socket where they come into the house. If this check shows up any sloppy connections or other errors, fix them then have another look at your computer. If you still have the red 'X', it is now time to phone your ISP and dump the problem in their lap.

Nor ALL internet connection problems are due to faults and errors inside your control !  If for example, your local phone company is digging up the road outside your house, you can only hope they leave you connected. A couple of months ago my wife watched a BT engineer climb the pole outside our house to carry out some repair or other. In doing so, he broke our connection. Three days later we got the phone and internet back !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 WizKid99

WizKid99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

That's a lot to take in. Ill try it. Thanks

#4 WizKid99

WizKid99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:04 PM

First off, welcome to BC !

Second off - relax, stop panicking, you are among friends !

Third - your problem. First thing to do - click on the little wi-fi symbol at the right hand end of your taskbar and see if it shows the name ( the SSID ) of your router and states 'Connected'. If it doesn't, then there is a connection problem between the computer and the router, but from what you have said this isn't the case - but it helps to check.

Next, RIGHT click on the little wi-fi symbol and select 'Open network and sharing centre'. This brings up quite a large dialogue box. At the top of it is 'map' of your network connection with your computer on the left, a house - representing your router - in the middle, and the wide, wide web on the right. These places are joined by lines. If there is a red 'X' on the line between your router and the internet there is a faulty ADSL connection. Check that the wire connecting the router to a phone socket is correctly plugged at both ends. Then switch the router off, wait 30 seconds or so, then switch it back on and see if you are connected, ie, web pages display.

If they do, super. If they don't, and you still have a red 'X' on your network map, then it is time to check that you have all the necessary filters in place and that all your phone lines are properly connected as far back as the socket where they come into the house. If this check shows up any sloppy connections or other errors, fix them then have another look at your computer. If you still have the red 'X', it is now time to phone your ISP and dump the problem in their lap.

Nor ALL internet connection problems are due to faults and errors inside your control !  If for example, your local phone company is digging up the road outside your house, you can only hope they leave you connected. A couple of months ago my wife watched a BT engineer climb the pole outside our house to carry out some repair or other. In doing so, he broke our connection. Three days later we got the phone and internet back !

Chris Cosgrove

Hey Chris, I wheat to the map and. It's all green. So could this be virus related

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:46 PM

No, I would be very surprised if this was caused by a virus or malware problem - they normally try quite hard to keep your internet connection up so they can report back to their controllers !

Since you say the 'map' is showing you connected then two possibilities remain - your firewall and your ISP.

Since your firewall is within your control, have a look at its settings and make sure it isn't set to block everything. If you use the Windows firewall you can get to it through 'Start / Control panel / Windows firewall'. If you use some other firewall it will have some means of checking its settings through its own control panel.

If yur firewall isn't blocking everything, then it is definitely time to give your ISP a phone call. After all, you are paying them for a service which at the moment you are not getting.

There is no need to quote my replies - or anybody else's - in your post. All posts stay in the thread until we all die of old age !

Chris Cosgrove

#6 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

A couple other things to try. Dirst can you hardwire the router to your computer and see if that connects you? Also follow Chris's direction to get to the Network Sharing screen, while there click on Local Area Network link, then click Internet Protocol Version 4. Make sure that the box that says Obtain an IP address automatically is checked.

#7 WizKid99

WizKid99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:26 PM

Some thing I forgot to mention. I have 3 modems. This happens with all of them. Also in case you wanted to know. My ISP is frontier. Another thing is that this happens online to my desktop computer

#8 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

I'd call your ISP tomorrow and ask them to reset your connection. If you're having the same issue  with all your modems it is likely an issue with your ISP.

#9 WizKid99

WizKid99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:15 PM

That didn't work. But I've been doing research on different types of viruses. Appearently malware effects you connection. I'm gonna install malwarebytes. Cross your fingers :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users