Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XPS M1730 Dual SATA Hard Drive Connector Cable Burnt

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 halosom

halosom

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:13 PM

Last night it burnt out on me, First I noticed on of my drives was missing in "My Computer" so I was checking on reason why that would be, didn't find much on it then I decided to restart the computer and that's when it get an error message saying unable to find bootable drive and I ran a diagnostics to see the problem, it read that it was the HDD, then I went into setup and found that both my HDD where not there anymore, so I turned off my laptop thinking the my HDD came loose and opened up the back where the HDD where located, pulled it out and noticed nothing wrong with either HDD, then I put it back together and booted it up and still got the error message for no bootable drive, and finally I pulled out it again and this time I pull the Dual cable and saw a burnt mark on one of (not sure what it's called) those pins looking thing when it connects to the motherboard.

Now here's my question, but take note that my laptop can still turn on with the problem of it not booting cause of the burnt Dual connector to the HDD.

1: Is my motherobard okay from that? To me it looks fine seeing as I can turn it on and do into BIOS and Setup but I would like a second opinion though.

2: What might be the cause of the burnt Dual SATA Connector Cable

3: If I just replaced the Dual SATA HD Connector Cable my computer should work right? Guess this only applies if my motherboard is working.

I attached an image of the Dual SATA connector cable and at the bottom you'll see that I marked that pin I was talking about that was burnt, I really hope that it doesn't affect my motherboard in anyway seeing as I can find another motherboard for this XPS M1730 to replace it.

Thanks

Attached Files

Edited by halosom, 13 December 2013 - 05:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:30 PM

I think just replacing the cable should be fine. Seems like the mb is ok.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

Hi,

I suspect that is the pin that carries the Power to the drives. If possible I would test each drive to be sure one of them is not shorted.

I would also check the motherboard connector that the cable connects to see if there is any damage.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 halosom

halosom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:46 PM

Thanks for the replies, how do I go about on check these things you listed, like what kind of equipment do I need to run test on them sure both HDD and MB connector are fine.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:41 AM

I would use a desktop computer to test the drives.

As for the Motherboard connector I would have to use a very strong magnifying glass.

Alternative would be just replace the cable and see if everything works.

is it off of warranty?

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 halosom

halosom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

I just ordered some stuff to connect those two drives to my other computer, should be able to check both in a couple of days and the connector for the laptop as well will report back in a few days thanks again.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

I go with Rotor - pins are not meant to get burnt or blackened in normal use and the fact that it has happened suggest an electrical overload of some sort which may be due to a faulty component on one of the drives giving a short circuit.

The best way to check for this is to use a digital multi-meter on resistance range. with the dual connector disconnected from the mobo, connect each of the two drives to it in turn and check for some resistance between the blackened pin and both 0V and Vsupply. You may need to be a bit imaginative to get a probe into the terminals on the daul connector but I would definitely check this before I connected either drive to another computer.

If you don't have a multi-meter, beg, borrow or steal one, even buy one if necessary - they are not that expensive now. But testing for shorts may save you the cost of a third connector cable and possibly even the mobo or the PSU on the computer you check the hard drives on. Worth a thought.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#8 halosom

halosom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

Where is a good place to buy the digital multi-meter you mention online? Links if possible for I am not familiar with this sort of device. Thanks again

#9 halosom

halosom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:42 PM

Btw if by chance one of my sata drive is shorted is there anyway that I can do myself to retrieve the data off of it without causing any other damage to another computer and/or device?

#10 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:12 PM

It is possible just to have had a bad pin connection on that cable. Buy a new

cable. Chances are everything is fine.

#11 halosom

halosom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:41 PM

Yeah I'm still waiting for the connector to come in by mail, ordered it last week. Just want to make sure I don't mess up and cause more damage is all.

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 07:23 PM

Siince I don't know where you live, I can't help with direct links to buy a meter. I just typed "buy digital multi-meter" into Google and came up with 498K hits when I specified 'UK'. Apart from the obvious places like Amazon and eBay, almost any electronic supplier. You don't need an expensive one. In the UK, they are available from about £ 10  up ( $US 15 ? ).

Roodo may very well be right - the failure could have been entirely at the pin due to a local increase in resistance leading to local overheating, but I would carry out the resistance checks anyway, just to be on the safe side.

We will all hope it is just a faulty cable. If it turns out to a hard drive problem, come back and we will see what can be done.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#13 halosom

halosom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2013 - 11:01 PM

Wow took them forever to send the SATA cables, then again is was near Christmas, oh well, my laptop is back up and running, thanks for all the help, but now I have another problem will be making a post about it soon.

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:38 PM

Thank You for reporting back that the cable did fix the laptop as far as running.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users