Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading from Windows Vista to Win 7 ( Error 80072ee2)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chris547

chris547

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:49 PM

I successfully upgraded my netbook from XP to Win 7 so then thought why not upgrade a spare desktop, a Dell Inspiron 530 from Vista Home Premium to Win 7 Home Premium. This second upgrade appeared to have worked fine however when I set to updating Win 7 on the Dell I could see things were not hunky dory!

Everything appears great and I even seemed to have Internet Explorer running until I tried to download files.  IE8 keeps waiting and waiting and then a teasing small progress perhaps 1% and then it hangs and then it times out.

I've done all the things suggested by Microsoft to no avail.

Then I turned to bleeping computer to search and try and find a solution.

I can download tools etc using a different computer and put programs on a USB memory stick to run scans etc so I have run minitoolbox and Farbar Service Scanner however not very sure how to proceed to curing my issues.

Could someone please give me some guidance?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

How did you upgrade from vista to 7? Clean install?

#3 chris547

chris547
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

I did it from the Vista Desktop so I think that is described as an upgrade. 

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

Did you disable your av before upgrading

#5 chris547

chris547
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:01 AM

Hi Roodo,

Thanks for your support.

I can't remember whether I turned AV off however it was my intention to do so . I use MSE. I did scan with MSE and SuperantiSpyware before I started the upgrade and I made sure Vista and MSE were fully dated before I started.

Unfortunately because IE8 was hopeless, I could not update any programs/files after I upgraded to Win 7 so downloading a new copy of MSE from Microsoft onto a memory stick means I am currently using on MSE a version with a database which is 4 months old. Same with SuperantiSpyware with a database which is 6 months old. When I plug these programs into the Dell's USB they run but cannot update their databases because the Explorer link is present but only drip feeding a few bytes at a time.

I am kind of pre-empting what you might be about to tell me and that I may need to do a clean install unless there is a way of transferring scanning programs which have their data bases updated before I copy them onto the memory stick. If this can be done which programs should I use?

I have loaded SuperantiSpyware program onto my Dell and when I came through this morning the Dell was on although I had put it to sleep last night. SuperantiSpyware had done a scan at 2am finding 25 threats (tracking cookies etc) which seemed to be from the old Vista days.

Better explain the storage hardware. There are twin physical disks on my Dell, both 330GB which are in reality 298GB after formatting. So 2 disks however 3 drives.

Disk 1    C: Operating    E: Recovery

Disk 2    D: Data

One of the reasons I did not wipe the primary hard disk in the Dell was there is a 10 GB recovery partition (Drive E). The C and E drives are separate partitions of the booting disk.  Dell do not give you a Vista CD disk. This recovery area E is still there I am sure.

After the upgrade there's still 3 "Drives" on my Inspiron, the Vista Recovery drive partition E and the new Win 7 drive partition C and  the second 298 GB hard disk, the D: drive which has data files on it.

Prior to doing the Vista Win 7 move I used EaseUS Todo Backup to do a Disk and Partition Backup of the C: and E: disk.

I also checked on Restore Points on the C: drive and there's one for yesterday 13/12, 12/12, 11/12, 10/12, (14 points for 10/12), There are also 8 from earlier in the year which are probably backups to a USB hard disk using windows backup. 

Going "back" has several options however something I have never tried. At least we can do what easiest and best either backwards or forwards. Please advise what I should do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users