Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gadgets

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dennisb51e

dennisb51e

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

I have windows 7 Ult installed and when I did some windows update my windows gadgets stopped working how can I get them back? I reinstalled windows but they still do not work. Any help out there?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:35 PM

Try a RIGHT click on a blank piece of desktop. This will bring up a small menu. Second from the bottom is an entry 'Gadgets'. Click on this and it will bring up a menu of available gadgets with the option to download more from the interenet.

Selecting the gadget(s) of your choice should result in them being displayed.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 dennisb51e

dennisb51e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:58 PM

I get the gadget's but when I click to use them they do not work I think Microsoft caused them to stop working due to some security problem with them I sure would likr to get them working again.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:56 AM

Fixit to enable/disable gadgets. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2719662

#5 dennisb51e

dennisb51e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:28 AM

I used the fixit icon but it didn't get my gadget's back to working condition. I don't know what to do now???

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:20 AM

Which gadget are you using? It could be a specific gadget that Microsoft and other CA's revoked due to security issues.

#7 dennisb51e

dennisb51e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2013 - 12:24 AM

I liked the clock and the weather gadgets I know windows has the time in the lower right but I liked the gadget clock.

#8 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:09 AM

As far as I know the fixit should enable/disable. Hmm not sure if Microsoft pushed an update other than the fixit. Try going to start and typing in services.msc and search for Windows Sidebar. Go to to the properties of that service and set it to Automatic and then start the service on the left panel.

#9 dennisb51e

dennisb51e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

I searched for the windows sidebar under services.msc but the windows sidebar was not listed if I right click on the desktop gadget come up but the will not work?? I looked on my other computer running the same version of window and it was not listed there either??

#10 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

Windows discontinued Windows gadgets due to its vulnerabilities. I'm not sure of any Windows update that disables the ones that are there now.

Not sure if this is relevant or true but;

Responding to the security threat, Microsoft recently issued a security advisory and a security update to disable the Windows Sidebar and Gadgets

http://www.support.com/blog/post/microsoft%C2%AE-releases-update-disable-windows%C2%AE-sidebar-and-gadgets

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#11 j.stevens

j.stevens

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

When you say "the desktop gadget come up but the will not work", do you receive an error code or is it just not loading the application?

#12 dennisb51e

dennisb51e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:56 PM

When I right click on the screen a box comes up and it has the word gadgets listed and when I click on the word gadgets they open up but when I click on the clock or weather icon they do not work the calender and the picture puzzle works .

#13 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:10 AM

As Darktune has brought up as well. I am speculating that Microsoft pushed an update that totally disabled it with a KB patch update. Fixit probably doesn't work as Windows 7 home premium does not have group policy editor. However, there is a way to get gpedit.msc on premium. I would suggest leaving gadgets off. There are some gadgets that are fine and run just like any other program, but there is no way to tell which is good and which is bad. There is no trust there. Also, widgets are like gadgets and can be ran from website's. This opens the door to hackers to have you unknowingly execute nefarious code and them gaining access to your system. Since there is no way to control the security Microsoft disabled it. I am not sure if I would be breaking policy here offering the solution. It is also going against my better judgement as security should always be top priority. It makes no sense to have a virus scanner, but have the back door wide open.

This is how Widgets is enabled/disbaled through the group policy editor following option 1.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/114722-windows-sidebar-enable-disable.html

Edited by technonymous, 21 December 2013 - 12:15 AM.

#14 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:36 AM

I get the gadget's but when I click to use them they do not work I think Microsoft caused them to stop working due to some security problem with them I sure would likr to get them working again.

Yes, when 8 came out, they stopped the whole gadget marketplace on their site, along with introducing an update that protected Vista & 7 from bad possible malware ridden gadgets.

You can still find them on the "Black Market" per say. But I would be very careful.

The problem with gadgets, is just like the desktop, they are hidden from view, when you have windows open.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users