Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

700 Hours to restore hard drive!?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 andysd

andysd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

Hello,

So I actually used this forum to find some recommended programs so if I missed something I'm sorry I did try to search!

Anyway, the issue I'm having is my 1Tb Seagate external failed and when plugged in says that it needs to be formatted before use. No problem like I said, searched the forum found shadow copy, recuva, and testdisk/ photorec. All 3 where able to detect the files and it was looking good until they all require about 700 hours of run time to pull what I wanted off. That 1Tb hard drive was about full and it had a ton of small files on it so that could possibly be why. Anyway tried this on two different computers, both Windows 7 home premium and the same results. I really can't think of anymore info but ask away and I'll get it asap.

All I want off of the drive is my .jpg and .raw files. Everything else can be lost but those are pretty important, so is there any program that can target specific files when running that way it doesn't take 700 hours to run?

(Also in photorec I did go into the options and unchecked every box except those two file types and it still was going to take weeks to run)

Is all hope lost? Do I need to let my computer run for 3 weeks in a dark room?

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bobbinet

Bobbinet

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:05 PM

I am sure someone can assist you on here. I wondered if you ran a virus scan and include that drive letter it is plugged into? There is a nice man in my town that went to school for 5 years for computers and if you call he may help you. His web site (all one word) is Portland Dan .com

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

Recuva should be able to target specific files:

http://www.piriform.com/docs/recuva/recuva-quick-start/quick-start-recovering-files-of-a-specific-type-(or-in-a-specific-location)
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:57 PM

its all dependant upon the speed of the computer... drive... how full it was when it died... the functionaity of the drive... etc

I have recovered a few drives in my day, and it has taken anywhere from 8 hours for a 500GB to 4 days for a 200GB (there was a 1TB that only took a day and a half in there as well as couple others that tooks a day or two), I wouldnt go by what it says, just let it run, itll take as long as it needs.

#5 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

You may also see that number fluctuate a great deal while it's attempting to recover files.  All the software can do is give you an estimate, and, just like transfering files in windows, you will probably see that estimated time jump and fall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users