Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security Center shows it's started but I still can't turn on or get updates

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aburt60

aburt60

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

Computer is a Windows 7 64 bit with SP1 computer that I've been working on for a cousin of mine. Cleaned out a quite a bit of junk and malware already via my the antivirus (Symantec Endpoint Protection), as well as with malwarebytes and did a registry clean up with CCleaner.  Initially the security center didn't even show up in the Services, now it does.  Only problem I still have is an inability to do any updates on this computer. I keep getting this popup.

I'm running out of solutions and fear I can do more harm than good if I keep stabbing in the dark. Any ideas guys? 

-adam 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

I would try installing a free copy of malwarebytes and running a flash scan and a full scan, in that order. After all items are found and removed I would run unhide, found at http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/unhide.exe

Please let us know the results.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#3 aburt60

aburt60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

I'll give it a whirl right now. Thanks! Will post results after. 

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:57 PM

did a registry clean up with CCleaner. 

The following was originally posted by Animal, one of our Site Administrators.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in unpredictable results.

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 aburt60

aburt60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:58 PM

Very good to know! Thanks. I guess I've been lucky in the past to not cause any noticeable damage. Thanks for the heads up! 

#6 aburt60

aburt60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:25 PM

Just did a scan with Malwarebytes as well as the followup with unhide.exe.  Still same results. No updates, no activating Security Center even though services says it is.  

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:41 PM

I don't want to step on anybody's toes, but the update service not running is one of the signs of malware infection. Malwarebytes is an excellent tool - I use it on virtually every computer I work on - but not even its authors will claim it can find and deal with everything.

You said you have cleaned out 'junk and malware'. It is possible you aare still infected. Have you considered posting in the 'Am I infected' section of BC ?

Chris Cosgrove

#8 aburt60

aburt60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:43 PM

I'm guessing you were right Chris.  After I did those things to no success, I ran combofix, restarted the computer, and problem solved. I'm currently updating and installing as we speak. Thanks so much for all the help that I've received though. It was all very helpful!

-adam 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users