Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with new Laptop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lee-Enfield

Lee-Enfield

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

I recently purchased this laptop a week or so ago :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EKOYBMA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And everything seemed to be working fine, Except when i tried to use a USB port it simply won't detect the USB drive.

It doesn't appear on the list when you click on Computer either but my Logitech Mouse that uses a usb key is working correctly.

I've updated some of the drivers that are related to USB using Slim Drivers but the problem still seems to persist.

This may be pertinent as well, Last night when i attempted to use the webcam it did not come on ( that could have been user error )

However the next morning i woke up to find that the laptop had apparently suffered a BSOD? as it had restarted and there was an error report log.

I would paste that log here but i am unsure how to locate it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:26 PM

It doesn't appear on the list when you click on Computer either but my Logitech Mouse that uses a usb key is working correctly.

Is your logitech mouse using the same usb port that is causing errors?

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#3 Lee-Enfield

Lee-Enfield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

Yes, I tested all of the USB ports with two USB sticks and the logitech mouse stick,

Mouse still works.

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

Plug in your usb stick and go to disk management in Windows.

Click Start-Right click Computer and go to Manage

Then goto Disk Management under Storage

Is your USB drive showing up there? It could either be in a blue or black box. It could say unallocated as well.

As far as the bsod log goes, have you tried looking here -->C:\Windows\Minidump

Edited by chrisd87, 13 December 2013 - 02:48 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#5 Lee-Enfield

Lee-Enfield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:18 PM

Edit: Device Driver Not Properly Installed

It appears i'm missing two Bluetooth peripheral drivers. i wouldn't have thought those would be needed to access USB memory drives?

I let windows automatically search for updates but it just returned  no drivers.

2dqit7b.jpg

Found the .dmp file i believe though im trying to figure out how to either read it or/upload it.

Edited by Lee-Enfield, 13 December 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

The computer is only about 2-3 weeks old?

Even if you didn't purchase a maintenance plan, the computer should come with a minimum 30 (if not 90 day) functional warranty

Even though the computer seemed to be running fine, it isn't fully functional

Consider getting back to the seller to fix it properly or replacing it

Naturally you can continue to troubleshoot it yourself but it's a new computer; you shouldn't need Slim Driver or anything else to have it run properly

If it turns out that you are on your own though

--- Go online on another computer and download/burn the drivers for your computer onto disc

Did you create a repair disc?

--- If you did, you could try it

If you don't have Factory Restore discs get them from the seller or the mfr

--- Since you have BSOD issues (most likely driver issues) the best course of action could be reinstalling

--- On the computers COA, you should have the 25 character id number

------ The reason I mention this is because depending on how you are going to reinstall you want that number available before you start

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:24 AM

I did a little digging around and there does seem to be an issue with 3.0 usb working with a usb 2.0. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2830154 However, it could just be that the usb device you have is not compatible with windows 8, but is for win xp and win 7. The new USB 3.0 is backwards compatible and should have no issue's. However, usb 3.0 is new and there can always be some kind of unknown underlining hardware issue with the 2.0 device itself and not the system. The laptop manual should say which ports are 2.0 and which are 3.0. If you're having issue's with one device and not another then it's more than likely the device just won't work with Win 8. Look up the device you're plugging into the usb port on the internet, don't be surprised if it says not compatible with windows 8 or anyhting at all.

Before trying above I would first try Microsoft updates A lot of times these issue's like this can be resolved by updating. Under start | all programs | Microsoft Updates.

Heres a link for a chipset driver update that you could also try.  http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/swdHome/?sp4ts.oid=5269095&ac.admitted=1386996833181.876444892.492883150 Just click on the Windows 8 64x assuming that's what you're using. Scroll down a bit there to downloads and the second link 'Driver Chipset'. You're not alone with these issues. Hell I got a closet full of hardware. Then I got a windows 95 scanner that works all the way up to windows 8 and even linux. It has outlasted 4 other newer scanners over the course of it's life and it's still going strong. The light it in has never burned out. Go figure!

Good Luck

Edited by technonymous, 14 December 2013 - 12:30 AM.

#8 Lee-Enfield

Lee-Enfield
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 11:17 AM

windows update appears to have solved the USB issues! 

test all ports with two seperate USB sticks and they are all working fine now it seems!

Thank you for all your help thus far, Feel like an idiot for not double checking win updates first lol.

BSOD is still a mystery, though i did solve why my computer restarts every morning.

I still cannot seem to figure a way to read or upload minidump files.

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

See if this will help you read the BSOD error message

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm

--- I suspect its a driver issue and you should get back to the original drivers that came with the pc

Afterward check Device Manager and note whether or not there are any red or yellow items

--- If there aren't any, I would still consider the following

Download/burn the drivers for your make/model onto CD

Uninstall the driver uitility program you are using

--- You can reinstall any time you want if you really want to use it but I don't see the need for it but that's up to you

Edited by cmptrgy, 14 December 2013 - 02:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users