Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Toshiba laptop very slow in downloads, etc.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 janmorrow

janmorrow

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:03 PM

Hello everyone and happy holidays. Thank you for allowing me to join this forum.

My problem is this:

Toshiba, 8.1

I have a Toshiba laptop that is not yet 1 year old. I don't use it much, but have noticed that, when I download software, it is very slow.....DSL slow. I use Comcast and have a desktop (4 yrs old), which downloads speedily, so Comcast is not the problem.

How can I determine which software loaded on to my laptop is mucking things up? Lots of Norton products were downloaded on to that laptop. Wondering if Norton could be the problem.  I need to get this fixed as I cannot download under these circumstances and don't want to stress the laptop.

Thank you very much for any help.

Jan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masx

masx

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:31 PM

Norton!

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

Post your results from test.my.net, what is your speed that you are paying for. What manufacturer and model of Router. Post results from SysInternals Process Explorer, which you can download from Microsoft.com.

How many other computers are using this connection at the same time? Have you gone through and done a disk cleanup, CCleaner, defrag? How much RAM installed? What is the model# of this computer?

Run a tracert to your local city or county website, also to bleepingcomputer.com, and for grins, either Google or yahoo, and post those.

What also was the original OS that was installed on the machine? Doubtful that Norton is the culprit, since they have improved the way the newer version works, compared to the versions that were coming out in the mid 00's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users