Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU issues!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JohnLRhodes

JohnLRhodes

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

Hi, My Cpu seems to do what it wants if it isn't the svchost.exe system using 99% of the CPU.

Then it's the system idle process I have uninstalled automatic updates and I am updating it manually.

Also refering to the system idle process using the CPU it doesn't actually use the CPU it just acts as though it is on the process window (see screenshot below)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:29 PM

Use the Task Manager to see what programs are using your hdd.

1)  Right click on the Taskbar to open the Task Manager.

2)  Click on the Performance tab in Task Manager.

3)  Click on the Resource Monitor button, then click on the Disk tab.

4)  When the Process with Disk Activity opens you will be able to see which programs are accessing your hdd. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JohnLRhodes

JohnLRhodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:56 AM

Hi dc3 , I think this some sort of bug, I have the procexp application.

This allows me to see exactly which process is using the CPU, it still tells me that it is the parenting System idle process, which is acting like a mask. As really the CPU usage is at 2%.

Maybe this came apparent after I removed a virus off of my machine, I think the cleaning process has affected the way my machine reads the CPU

#4 JohnLRhodes

JohnLRhodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:58 AM

For some reason, it wont let me post the screenshots, it is saying the file size is too big. (although I posted the same screenshots on a different topic..)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:18 AM

System idle process is misleading somewhat...it reflects how hard your CPU is NOT working, with higher numbers reflecting the fact that the CPU is being asked to do very little at that moment.

Louis

#6 MissLizz

MissLizz

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:57 AM

This is John's post.  I'm just going to watch.  But I  wanted to add his Task Manager seems to be like mine in that there is no specific Performance tab, rather a column in the opening box, along with Applications, CPU usage, Networking and Users.  Perhaps he could post what his Task Manager looks like.  Clicking on Performance brings on CPU Usage and History, PF usage and history, handles, threads,  processes, Physical Memory, Commit Memory, Kernel memory; I don't understand what it is or how it's used.

There is no Resource Monitor, no disk tab, no disk activity.  Just adding this information in case his XP pro, like mine, also gets different read-outs for the process requested.  End of my post(s).

#7 JohnLRhodes

JohnLRhodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:07 AM

Hi MissLizz,

I use an application called proceXP to isolate specific processes, I am no expert when it comes to this kind of stuff, 

but it just seems odd how the system idle process was not doing this before I tackled a virus, eliminated it then applied the Automatic updates bug fix.

Hi Louis,

I am just worried that this bug is not completely tackled as I turned on my PC two days ago, and the system idle process had gone back to 0-2% and the cpu was being leveraged by the svchost.exe again. I restarted my machine after applying some debuggers (using proceXP) to the svchoste.exe process and the machine was running smoothly again but showing the system idle process at 98% again (although the true usage was 0-4%.

This was alarming as I thought I had resolved this issue, and I didn't think it was normal for the system idle process to be at 98-99%

#8 JohnLRhodes

JohnLRhodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:26 AM

This is the tool I use to explore my CPU usage in depth:

ProceXP:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/process-explorer/

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:10 AM

If you use Task Manager...and System IIdle Process is 98%...that's a good thing, not something to be concerned about.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 December 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#10 JohnLRhodes

JohnLRhodes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:58 AM

Okay thank you, I just re-read your first post makes sense aha

thanks,

john

#11 hamluis