Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

flashing bar on laptop screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 techchallenge

techchallenge

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:27 AM

I have a bar that constantly flashes in the center of my screen. I have shut down and restarted pc several times, this does not change anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

make and model of machine and horizontal or vertical?

try tapping the f8 key on boot and boot in safe mode or use a lower resolution
does this help?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

When you boot into Safe Mode the computer is using a limited number of drivers and system files.  The graphics driver used in normal mode is replace in Safe Mode with a native Windows driver.  If the lines do not reappear in Safe Mode then your problem is most likely a graphics driver.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When the  FileHippo website opens, click on Download latest version in the upper left pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 ChelseaWoolf

ChelseaWoolf

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:57 PM

it depends on the computer but you need a new screen anywhere from 100-400 depending on quality and size

#5 techchallenge

techchallenge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 09:18 AM

Thanks Roodo!! restarted in safe mode bar is gone!

#6 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:11 AM

Now Id try and either update or roll back your video driver to see if that works
Roll back if the issue was caused by an update.

If that fails then the video card is probably faulty a needs replacement. If
its an internal video, well.. time to get a card.

Good Luck!

If you need direction on how to do that well be happy to help.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:13 AM

Safe Mode uses the least amount of drivers and files to boot Windows.  The graphics driver used in Safe Mode is not the graphics driver used in normal mode, it is a native Windows driver, this is why the picture resolution looks off.  

Since the problem doesn't persist in Safe Mode it is fairly obvious that the problem is a driver. not the graphics card.

Please go back to post #3 and supply me with the requested information.  With this I can provide you with a link to download new graphics drivers.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users