Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot fail from internal caddy

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dogspods

Dogspods

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:12 AM

I have x2 identical PC's (Acer Aspire M3970, x1 at home, x1 in remote office) I'd like to put the hdd in the built in sata caddy so I can use it to boot both, and easily transfer work to home. I've initially tried this but get BSOD just as the Win 7 logo anim starts. Is this as easy as it sounds or am I missing something? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:23 AM

This may provide you with an answer.

When you take a hdd with a Windows operating system installed from the computer it was originally installed on and install it in another computer you are asking for major problems. The excerpt below is from a Intel article which describes in detail what happens. The article also mentions a reference to an article by Microsoft, it can be seen here.

Moving a hard drive with Windows already installed to a new motherboard without reinstalling the operating system is not recommended.

If a hard drive is moved to a new computer, the registry entries and drivers for the mass storage controller hardware on the new motherboard are not installed in Windows for the new computer you may not be able to start Windows. This is true even if you move the hard drive to a motherboard with the same chipset, as different hardware revisions can cause this issue as well.

Additionally, moving a hard drive to a new motherboard may not exhibit any errors until you install new IDE drivers. This is because each chipset uses a different Plug-n-Play (PNP) ID to identify it. If you change your motherboard, your registry will have multiple PNP IDs (for the old hardware as well as the new hardware). If there are multiple entries in the registry, Windows cannot determine which hardware to initialize and therefore fails with a STOP error.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Dogspods

Dogspods
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

The BSOD happens even if I try to boot via the caddy on the original installation PC.

Plus when I said PC's are identical, they are just that, exact same model, cpu, mb, ram (type, manu & size) power supply and graphics card.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

The chipset is what has to be exactly the same.  Having the same model doesn't necessarily mean that they both will have the same exact chipset.

Did you take the hdd from one computer and try to boot in the other and then try to use it in the original afterward?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Dogspods

Dogspods
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

HDD from PC-A boots and works in PC-B and vise versa with no errors, warnings or driver instal messages.

So why does the HDD from PC-A, when put in the hot-swap caddy of PC-A, fail to boot and blue screen??

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

If pc A was placed in the pc B, booted from in that computer, then reinstalled and booted form pc A and failed I would have to assume that the plug and play IDs of both registrys are now being seen.  This confuses the operating system as it doesn't know what IDs to recognize and use to boot with.

What is the ***STOP: error being generated when you try to boot from this hdd?

Edited by dc3, 13 December 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#7 Dogspods

Dogspods
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 04:20 AM

HDD from PC-A can be installed into PC-B, booted and then installed again into PC-A with no problems. The blue screen only occurs when trying to boot PC-A or B with the HDD in the caddy.

I tried booting from the caddy before I tried booting from PC-B so I know it's not the result of swapping between the 2 PC's.

The blue screen literally flashes so it's hard to actually read. Took a vid of the start up and it looks like STOP 0x0000007b

Booting into safe mode doesnt work either, same blue screen.

Edited by Dogspods, 14 December 2013 - 04:21 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:58 AM

The whole stop error is 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE 

One of the possible solutions for this is to enter the BIOS and change the SATA mode to AHCI if it isn't already.

Just to make sure, you can't use any of the options in the Advanced Boot Options?

If this doesn't resolve this there are a couple of other things we can try.  This will involve the use of an installation disc, if you don't have one I can provide you with information for downloading a ISO image which can be burned to a DVD to boot from. 

#9 Dogspods

Dogspods
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:50 AM

Tried the BIOS ACHI but still blue screens, looks like it'll be the other things.

Don't have an installation disk as PC's came with recovery partition.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 11:25 AM

The following will require a Windows 7 Repair Installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

The ISO image will need to be burned to a DVD in order to create a bootable installation disc.

1a)  To burn a ISO file to a DVD please download ImgBurn and install it.

2a)  Insert a blank DVD into your CD/DVD drive tray, and then close the tray.

3a)  Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

4a)  Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

5a)  Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

6a)  Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable DVD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on Command Prompt link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.  Type in chkdsk /r and then press Enter

w75_zps9941e858.png

#11 Dogspods

Dogspods
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

OK, done the above but not had chance to try booting from the caddy, will try tomorrow. Although I'm beginning to think it's a problem with my Win7 install, as I can create a clean install on a spare HDD and it boots ok from the caddy of both PC's

Edited by Dogspods, 16 December 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

I'll be here.

Edit:  Actually I will not be here until late afternoon PST.  I will be out of town.

Edited by dc3, 16 December 2013 - 02:47 PM.

#13 Dogspods

Dogspods
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

...I'm beginning to think it's a problem with my Win7 install, as I can create a clean install on a spare HDD and it boots ok from the caddy of both PC's

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

This is why I suggested the repair installation which contains the Startup Repair.

You need to see if it will boot now that you have performed the repair installation.  Do this and let us know how it goes.

This could be a buggy installation, or it could be the hdd.  We will take this one step at a time.

#15 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:24 PM

You are tryiogn to boot the same thing twice, 2 MBR's and 2 MFT's. If you unplug one, boot the system up and then plug the other one back in it should work fine and mount the drive as long as the SYSTEM names are different other wise you will be clashing with NETBIOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users