Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac OS RAID vs Windows RAID

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JonDfox

JonDfox

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:10 AM

I have performed a number of tests on my LaCie 1TB SSD using thunderbolt and the result is, well, disappointing.

Posting them here for you guys thinking of doing the same thing.

Basically what you see from the images is that the Mac OS RAID software is soooo much more efficient than Windows RAID.
So if you consider software RAIDING your SSD disks with Windows, dont, because its not much faster than a single SSD (and with the added risk of data loss compared to not much improved speed, not worth it)

I am gonna find a Hardware Controller and conduct more tests :)

I also added the tests from my 1 TB Internal Fusion Drive (and you can clearly see that Windows Bootcamp does not support Fusion Drive)

If you have any comments or information that could help me and other users feel free to post!

Best of luck!

Jonas

LaCie Thunderbolt SSD Stripe RAID HFS+ (Mac OS)
LaCieThunderboltSSDStripeRAIDHFSMacOS_zp

LaCie Thunderbolt SSD Stripe RAID NTFS (Windows)
LaCieThunderboltSSDStripeRAIDNTFSWindows

LaCie Thunderbolt SSD Single 512GB NTFS (Windows)
LaCieThunderboltSSDSingle512GBNTFSWindow

Internal Fusion Drive Tested in Mac OS
InternalFusionDriveTestedinMacOS_zps2b0b

Internal Fusion Drive Tested in Windows 7 Bootcamp
InternalFusionDriveTestedinWindows7Bootc

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JonDfox

JonDfox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

By the way, is there a way to improve the performance in a Windows RAID? Like using another software etc? Because seeing the difference between windows and mac is just sad..

#3 JonDfox

JonDfox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

It just hit me, I got so bad results from the Windows Speedtests while in OS X they were good.

Could that be affected by that the Fusion Drive didnt work properly in Windows?

So basically having Windows booting from a slow drive, could that slow down the results from an external drive speed test?

Sorry Im just brainstorming..

Let me know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users