Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Warning - Junkware Removal Tool causes damage and deletes legitimate software!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Lioness1009

Lioness1009

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:39 AM

I have a LEGAL, paid for Babylon products, i bought from Babylon.

It has deleted the entire thing, both products, including cleaning the license and registry.

This is insane!

It is not even a cracked infected version!

I paid for it at Baylon directly!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:29 AM

What babylon product you installed?

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#3 Lioness1009

Lioness1009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:44 AM

What babylon product you installed?

Thank you.

Babylon Text Translation Annual and the German Duden spell check dictionary.

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:28 AM

Hello,

Firstly I'm sorry to hear about the trouble this caused for you. However when you run Junkware Removal tool you are provided with the following disclaimer:

jrtcmdsm.jpg

Babylon products, like many similar applications, are targeted because the vast majority of users have them installed through download wrappers (without their consent and/or through misleading install interfaces), and is therefore considered a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program). Nowhere it is claimed this is malicious or cracked/infected.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#5 Lioness1009

Lioness1009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:37 AM

I understand but actually, like 99% of the population i did not read this since i installed it in a hurry when i suspected I might have remains of some malware.....it never happened with any product before.

Removing a total pack of app because it *might* be PUP? I think it is inappropriate to say the least.

It could have, for example, warn me and ask : Do you confirm you want to remove this app?

Hello,

Firstly I'm sorry to hear about the trouble this caused for you. However when you run Junkware Removal tool you are provided with the following disclaimer:

jrtcmdsm.jpg

Babylon products, like many similar applications, are targeted because the vast majority of users have them installed through download wrappers (without their consent and/or through misleading install interfaces), and is therefore considered a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program). Nowhere it is claimed this is malicious or cracked/infected.

Edited by Lioness1009, 13 December 2013 - 05:38 AM.

#6 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,114 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:22 AM

It tells you so when it asks you to continue and confirm you run this knowing what the tool will do.

Removing a total pack of app because it *might* be PUP? I think it is inappropriate to say the least.

Not really, as many of these programs wreak havoc on your computer. Look around at the online internet communities and see how many people complain they have these applications without knowing how they ended up on the system. Download a few ad-sponsored installers for various programs, install them with default options (click "next" in the installer without reading, which you have to admit is very tempting as you did the same with Junkware Removal Tool :wink:) and then see if PUP removal is inappropriate.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#7 techwizard

techwizard

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:23 AM

Hi there Lioness, I am truley sorry that you have run into difficulty and dismay. One of the largest problems in virus/malware/adware cleaning is the ability to distinguish between what is wanted software and what is not. I have a customer that has some abnormal wants/needs on her computer. Cleaning it is extremely difficult as there are many things that normally are unwanted and they do have impact on how the computer runs.

Programs that are completely automated like JRT can cause these types of problems. To be completely honest with you I had not ever know anyone to have or want Babylon software on their computer. I appreciate you letting me know so that I can ask this question to those I remove and clean software from their computer in the future. I personally clean hundreds of computers in a year and like I said you are the first to have Babylon on purpose :-) I was not even aware they had paid products, or is this a company that unfortunately has the same name?

Most tools used gives a mode that allows for a scan to list ou what is found and the ability to check and uncheck what is wished to be removed. Junk Removal Tool is fully automated after it is started and takes out anything found on the list of bad/unwanted items. Just as some antivirus programs have a list of items that are automatically removed as malicious unless you manually go in and make an exception...if you don't mind my asking what antivirus are you currently using as babylon is on most lists for quarantine/removal from my experience...when they mention Wrapper they ment that in almost all cases Babylon was aquired during some download and the person did not have any idea that Babylon was being added and that their browsers default search and other things were being autmatically changed without asking their permission...in the computer world and with most people this is seen as improper and thus put in the list with the malicious....bad things...many of my calls are to remove this program to be honest...

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:35 AM

Bundled PUPs may be defined somewhat differently by various security vendors and may or may not be detected/removed based on that definition.

I have never condoned bundling of software but this is what we have to live with now as more and more legitimate vendors are doing this to recoup business expenses. This practice is now the most common revenue generator for free downloads. Folks need to take some personal responsibility and educate themselves about this practice.

About those Toolbars and Add-ons which change your browser settings
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 techwizard

techwizard

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:07 AM

Bundled PUPs may be defined somewhat differently by various security vendors and may or may not be detected/removed based on that definition.

I have never condoned bundling of software but this is what we have to live with now as more and more legitimate vendors are doing this to recoup business expenses. This practice is now the most common revenue generator for free downloads. Folks need to take some personal responsibility and educate themselves about this practice.

About those Toolbars and Add-ons which change your browser settings

Most reputable software like Adobe Flash does give an option to not install extra software, most people don't pay attention or go to fast to notice the little check mark.. :thumbup2:

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:20 PM

Yes, if the bundled program is pre-checked by default, that means you need to uncheck that option if you don't want it. Even if advised of a toolbar or Add-on, many folks do not know that it is optional and not necessary to install in order to operate the program. If you install too fast, you most likely will miss the "opt out" option and end up with software you do not want or need. The best practice is to take your time during installation of any program and read everything on the screen before clicking that "Install" or "Next" button. Even then, in some cases, this opting out does not always seem to work as intended.

#11 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,114 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

To avoid installing things you don't want, you could also use Unchecky. It doesn't work for all installers, but does a good job for a fair amount of installers.

regards, Elise

#12 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

That all being said. As you paid for a product, Babylon should have you on file and
be able to reissue your product to you.

#13 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:49 PM

To avoid installing things you don't want, you could also use Unchecky. It doesn't work for all installers, but does a good job for a fair amount of installers.

Elise, do you use this product? 

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

From reading Introducing Unchecky on RaMMicHaeL's Blog, it is more for average users who are not careful about reading everything and accept all defaults when installing programs.

The blog posting also indicates Unchecky is still a beta version.

#15 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

I'll leave it then. No Beta version for me. And I'm usually watching for sneaky stuff anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users