Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows wiped computer files

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 aj0225

aj0225

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:34 PM

My computer restarted today, and when i logged in, my background was gone and my desktop folders dissapeared. After googling information online, i was able to find them in c:/users/my username/desktop. I would like to know why they were put there and how can i put them back on my desktop. Its acting as if i made a new user, but it uses my username password to sign onto my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aj0225

aj0225
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:06 AM

also i'm not able to get to my files if i go to my documents or my pictures, i have to actually go through the c:/users/my username/to my documents or pictures to get to my files

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:27 AM

This can happen if the default Administrator Account becomes visible.  Look in the User Accounts in the Control Panel to see if there is an extra Administrator Account.

If there is, click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, in the Search program and files box type cmd , when this appears in the pane above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

When the elevaded command prompt opens type in or copy and paste the following command and then press Enter.   net user administrator /active:no 

This will hide the default Administrator account as it normally should be.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:38 AM

Windows would not have wiped out files on the computer by itself. No a Virus or Trojan could. First thing is to make sure you are logging into the correct account. Especially if you have one as an administrator, and one as a Limited user account.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

You are using a temporary profile.  Sometimes just shutting down and logging back in will resolve the issue.  Sometimes you have to recreate the profile.  As you have found, the data is not lost, just not where you normally go to get it.

How To Rebuild A Windows 7 User Profile – The Correct Way

#6 aj0225

aj0225
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:01 PM

in the users account,under control panel there is only my account and it is administrator password protected,its the only one i use

#7 aj0225

aj0225
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

you were right Rkilroy, when i went into cmd, it showed it was a temporary user account

#8 aj0225

aj0225
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

in the how to rebuild windows 7,they say to delete the SID, if it is my admin account that has the problem, would i have to create a new admin account?

#9 aj0225

aj0225
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

im having problems trying to get into anything now,this is what i get " your security settings prevented one or more files from being opened" thats what popped up when i tried to open regedit

#10 aj0225

aj0225
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

i just tried to rebuild a windows user profile and not only did i lose my files but im still in a temp account

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users