Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP Pro Crash in Dell D830

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mb from md

mb from md

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:05 PM

Dell D830 computer loaded with Win XP Pro recently was sluggish.  The machine finally hung up.

Ran CHKDSK; the run finished but came back with disk errors.  Attempted to boot the machine again.  The BSOD appeared with the following error message...then "STOP...c0000218 (Registry file failure)...The registry cannot load the hive (file) \SystemRoot\System32\config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate.  It is corrupt, absent, or not writable".  Next appeared "Beginning dump of physical memory. Physical dump of memory complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance".

Attempted to boot from the system CD but it installed another operating system.  I cannot recover any of the programs or other data.  Any ideas to salvage this data?

Edited by hamluis, 14 December 2013 - 10:24 AM.
Moved from IH to Win 8 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:12 AM

There are a couple of methods of replacing the damaged registry hive, but both require your XP CD and you may very well need to reinstall all programs. The good news is that all data should be accessible and retrievable. The best thing to try first is a repair install:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm

Also, just curious - exactly how did you run chkdsk?

#3 mb from md

mb from md
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:24 PM

Allan:  I ran CHKDSK with no other settings.  Just wondered if CHKDSK/R is a viable option at this point? The boot menu shows two operating systems loaded.  One crashes, the other one is the one that loaded from the CD's.

#4 ChelseaWoolf

ChelseaWoolf

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:07 AM

When i update bios and change to hd drive then win8pro is stable and fast, no more bsod. by the way in my event viewer now I have 14 errors (not real errors) in last 24 hours against 65849 errors of last 7 days.I'll go further with driver update, but surely now the problem is solved.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:35 AM

Can you boot to either instance of Windows at this point? If not, you can try running chkdsk /r (there is a space before the forward slash, by the way) from the recovery console. Boot to the XP CD and choose the the FIRST repair option (press "R").  The command "chkdsk" without and additional parameters is usesless - it does nothing. As you may know, you need to run it with the /r switch. But either way, checkdisk is not going to fix your corrupt registry hive.

Assuming the above doesn't help, you can try a repair install per my above instructions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users