Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Superfetch not running

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 baffledone

baffledone

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

My laptop will no longer start up.  It will go into DOS mode when starting and will start in SAFE MODE, but when I turn it on for a normal startup, I get the Windows 7 sign-in then it just grinds for awhile and goes black, but nothing ever happens.

When I go into SAFE MODE and do the diagnostics on it, I get that all systems are ok, but it still never comes on completely.  The one message I do see is that "SuperFetch not running".

I am running in SAFE MODE at this time and everything works except the volume, and downloading of some things, but can someone PLEASE help me with this a.s.a.p!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:43 PM

1) There is no DOS mode

2) Superfetch wouldn't have anything to do with the system not booting properly

3) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

4) What do you mean when you say it "grinds" for a while? Do you hear a grinding noise?

#3 baffledone

baffledone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:35 AM

Not a literal grinding noise, just the regular humming it makes.  Ok when is say DOS, I mean the screen similar to the old systems where the white words are on a black background.  I'm no expert, I don't know what it is.  I tried to go thru Recovery, it wouldn't allow it. 

Yesterday I think I deleted a printer driver that I thought wasn't necessary.  I've been trying to remove my Kodak Printer so that I can re-install and the files are everywhere, that's the only thing.  No error messages or anything.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,395 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:09 AM

I'm guessing you deleted something other than a printer driver. You have several options:

1) Boot to the advanced boot options screen (as soon as the system starts, begin tapping the F8 function key until you get to the advanced boot options screen). Choose: Last Known Good Configuration. If that works, fine. If not, go to the next step:

2) Insert your Windows 7 DVD and run the startup repair option. If that doesn't work do the next step

3) Boot to safe mode and run sfc /scannow as follows: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

#5 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

If you have a SSD drive installed, yes Super fetch can be disabled by the OS, or someone physically doing it, through turning off Services that they think they do not need running.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,395 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

Let's not worry about superfetch right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users