Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to certain websites (youtube, wikipedia, etc.)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thisisRW

thisisRW

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

Hi! I'm new here, but I joined for the only purpose of trying to get help for my misbehaving Macbook Pro. Here is what is happening:

- I can't access a few popular sites in particular, (notably: youtube, wikipedia, and firefox support site) and I stumble upon other sites I can't access every day. What happens is that it takes forever to load and after, google chrome says simply that it can't load the page.

- I can't load certain parts of sites, such as captcha codes. (Had to sign up for the forums here on my ipod to get through the captcha!)

- Pages tend to load slowly.

- I can use a proxy to get through to the sites I can't usually access. (But this is very inconvenient and it's not a real solution, cause I still don't know the problem!)

- This has been going on for a week or longer. It's not because the sites are down. (I can also access isitdownrightnow.com and I've checked :P)

I've tried:

- using my wifi with another device (ipod) and I don't have the issue with it.

- connecting to a different wi-fi and using an ethernet cable.

- flushing the dns cache.

- using a different browser. (currently using chrome, firefox doesn't work either)

- clearing the history/cache/etc. in both browsers

- scanning for viruses using Avast: no results. I'm halfway through a Sophos scan and no threats yet either.

- changing my dns addresses. (changed them to google public dns)

- pinging the sites (it was successful)

I'm running Mac OS X Leopard (10.6) with the latest update.

What am I doing wrong? What is happening? :o Everyone who can suggest something, I thank you very much! I'll try almost anything at this point in time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kracalo

kracalo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 15 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

Did you restart router and mac? Usually helps. Did you do correct flush DNS?

Do you have manual ip setup in mac or DHCP, if you are having manual check DNS entries. Try googles DNS IP 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

#3 thisisRW

thisisRW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:56 PM

I've restarted my Mac several times and my router once or twice.
I'm not sure what you consider the correct flush dns?
I have my ip on automatic. I changed to the google dns a while ago.

Also I'm not sure how to edit the post from my ipod, but I can't access any sites except for google search and a site for an online proxy. (I can't access any websites through the proxy though)

#4 LORD SCALVADOR

LORD SCALVADOR

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:34 AM

I really don't know much but maybe you disabled those sites on the computer? Just check your disabled sites on your web browser. Thats all I can give, it is a tricky problem. :P  

:horse: --- LORD SCALVADOR

#5 thisisRW

thisisRW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

I ended up just system restoring, and I haven't had the problem since, but I sure would like to know why that is! Oh well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users