Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It seems AVG 2014 won't remove an infection.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NoStasis

NoStasis

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

After running a scan as usual on my machine with AVG 2014 it came up with an infection it lists as a High Priority risk. It reads as follows:
Threat: Trojan horse Downloader.Generic13.AQHU
Object name: C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe (5480)
Severity: High
State: Infected
Identified by: Scan
Date: 12/12/2013, 11:48:40 AM
Action error: The data is invalid

And below that information it lists the previous file along with this one:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe (5480):C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLI.Component.Runtime.Shared.dll:\memory

It describes the above file as "Embedded element in the archive, email attachment, cookie etc."

When I attempt to remove the infection in just says the result is "Cannot be removed The Data is invalid". I do not appear to have any symptoms that I can perceive as of now so I am wondering if this is just a false positive or an AVG issue? Any help with this would be much appreciated, thank you!

Edited by NoStasis, 12 December 2013 - 01:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:51 PM

This isn't a virus and that is the correct directory for it. Its the Catalyst Control Center for your ATI

video card. Try and download the latest driver for you card and see if that goes away.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/downloads.aspx.

Could be a false pos.

Edited by Roodo, 12 December 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#3 NoStasis

NoStasis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

That appears to have resolved the issue, thank you very much.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:47 PM

If you suspect a file was falsely detected (a false positive) or appears suspicious, then you should submit a sample to the vendor so they can investigate and take corrective action if confirmed. Please refer to:Once a file is received, a technician can examine it in more detail and provide a report letting you know the results. You should also contact and advise the program vendor that one of their files is being detected as a threat. In many cases they will work with the anti-virus techs in an attempt to resolve the detection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users