Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi there. Happy to be here. A little help, please. Thanks.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 drakesuave

drakesuave

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:01 PM

Hello:

Recently my laptop, running Windows 7, refused to load.  I received an error message that said there was something wrong with the loader.  I ran Repair, System Restore, and so on, to no avail, receiving messages that said repairs could not be made.  The System Restore date, there was only one listed, ran to no effect.  In an effort to ensure that I did not lose anything, I have been rather laboriously using the Command Prompt to copy files, directory by directory, to an external hard drive. (I know, I know, I should have backed the thing up. But could I be bothered with that? Nooooo!!)  I would like to stop doing all this, and avoid reloading the system from the Windows 7 disc, which it appears will wipe everything out and start thiings all over.  Is there something I can do to make a fix to this thing and preserve all my data?  I have some knowledge of these things, though I am far from expert, but I can follow a recipe.  Thanks in advance.

Neil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:21 PM

You could try this:

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/win7s-no-reformat-nondestructive-reinstall/

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

I'll give you the bad news up front, you're probably going to have to reload.

My experience has been that you will spend hours and hours trying to get it to work and end up relaoding.  So, I normally just jump to the conclusion, backup and reload.  Before you reload I would recommend running a hard drive diagnostic to verify that the hard drive is good, again this is experience.  Nothing like doing the full reload experience to have the drive fail hard a week later.

#4 drakesuave

drakesuave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

Thanks so much.  That has been my thought all along, but I heard about this site, so I thought I would give it a try.  I really appreciate your reply.

Neil

#5 drakesuave

drakesuave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

Thanks Roodo.  That seems to be a good thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users