Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive diagnostics

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 copiman

copiman

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

I have a Toshiba laptop that I suspect the hard drive may be bad. Cannot use the laptop to test it, long story. I used my HDD enclosure and connected to my desktop via USB. I then used the Toshiba sites utility and it will not work. Why I don't know. Will not allow you to select the drive you want to test, even though it sees it. Tried another utility suggested to me by someone and it does not support USB.

So, I used my desk top and ran chkdsk /f/r :j and the results shows no errors, so that makes me think the drive is good. Am I right? Another question is: Are the utilities manufacture specific or are there utilities out there that can be used on different drives? Also, any particular ones for using USB as a connection for the times you have to?

Newbie in this area!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:59 AM

If both the laptop and the desktop have SATA drives you should be able to install the laptop drive in the desktop and run the Toshiba tool.

#3 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:14 PM

Are you saying install it internally in the desktop or externally? I have it connected externally via a USB cable to a 2.5 enclosure.

#4 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

might have to. Did you try these:

http://storage.toshiba.com/storage-services-support/warranty-support/software-utilities

#5 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

might have to. Did you try these:
http://storage.toshiba.com/storage-services-support/warranty-support/software-utilities

Yes. Tried it first. The drive was listed in the utility, but would not allow me to select it.

Never tried to connect a laptop drive internally to a desktop. May look at that tonight. Will have to go get the cables.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:30 PM

Connect the laptop drive internally to the desktop.  The laptop and desktop SATA connections are the same, unless you have a mini SATA connector on the laptop, in which case you would need an adapter.  This should get your around the USB connected problem for the diagnostic.

#7 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:40 PM

Connect the laptop drive internally to the desktop.  The laptop and desktop SATA connections are the same, unless you have a mini SATA connector on the laptop, in which case you would need an adapter.  This should get your around the USB connected problem for the diagnostic.

Thank you. will check it out this evening.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,412 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:43 PM

You can use SeaTools for DOS on any hard drive, for diagnostic purposes.  Run the long/extended test.

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users