Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Checking PC security after virus removal

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sm3gly

Sm3gly

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

Hi all,

First post on your forums and hoping you can help.

I was wondering if you had any suggestions for software that would scan your machine after you had removed any viruses/malwares, that would check the security of your PC. 

As we all know, most viruses will mess with a number of PC settings to open it up to future infection and allowing easier access for the "hacker" to get information etc.  So once you have removed the virus that did this, is there any other software you can run that will look for any loop holes left in your systems security, from simple things like decreases IE security settings to other more complex issues?

Idealy I would like completely free software that is available to individuals and companies.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

:welcome: to BC

Before continuing, please let me know what security scans have you performed thus far and what did they find?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Sm3gly

Sm3gly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:22 AM

Thank you for your reply, but I have no issues at the moment.  I was just wondering if there were such tools to be able to check your PC for vulnerabilities that a virus may havecreated, or even to check your PC for security holes to help you protect your PC from getting viruses, malwares or hackers from getting in in the first place. 

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:44 AM

SecurityCheck is a specialized tool (batch file) created by screen317 that searches for the currently installed (and running) security programs on a user's computer. Security check also looks at program versions for software such as Adobe, Java, Firefox. Why? There are serious security issues with older versions which can increase the risk of system infection. Infections spread by malware writers and attackers exploiting unpatched security holes or vulnerabilities in older versions. Software applications are a favored target of malware writers who continue to exploit coding and design vulnerabilities with increasing aggressiveness.

The majority of computers get infected from visiting a specially crafted webpage that exploits one or multiple software vulnerabilities. It could be by clicking a link within an email or simply browsing the net, and it happens silently without any user interaction whatsoever.

Web Exploits

Exploit kits are a type of malicious toolkit used to exploit security holes found in software applications...for the purpose of spreading malware. These kits come with pre-written exploit code and target users running insecure or outdated software applications on their computers.

Exploit Kits - Anatomy of an exploit kitFree Software Update Monitoring Tools:

#5 Sm3gly

Sm3gly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:50 AM

Great thanks for that.  I came across that first tool, but I dont think its 64 bit compatible as it would not run and had an error of "incompatible operating system" (also tried running as administrator).  I will check the other links out at the bottom of your reply.  Cheers for the information!!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:11 AM

Are you using Windows 8?

SecurityCheck should run on 64-bit systems (Vista, Windows 7). Try right-clicking and select Run As Administrator.

If it still doesn't run, there may be a glitch we need to report to the developer.

#7 Sm3gly

Sm3gly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:53 AM

Odd, worked that time, the other day I downloaded directly from the screen317 site.

Thanks.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

You're welcome.