Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet browsing painfully slow on new laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gaffer7

Gaffer7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:31 AM

Yesterday I bought a Toshiba C50D-A-133, not the best laptop granted but I was on a tight budget. As the title says when I try to browse the web it takes up to 4 minutes for the page to load if at all. I uninstalled IE and I'm currently using Chrome but it makes no difference unfortunately.

- AMD E1-2100 APU

- Windows 8

- 4GB RAM

I've tried restarting my router and laptop to no avail, as well as checking my drivers which are all up to date. My older laptop which is from 2006 and probably has 5MB of RAM browses at least 10x faster than the Toshiba. I only really understand the basics of computing, I get a bit lost when it comes to DNS settings and whatnot. Hopefully someone can help me out here, thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

If the same problem exists whether the computer is directly connected to the router/ modem or wireless, then your best move

is to return the computer while it is under warranty. But first, uninstall all software that you downloaded and installed.

Many free programs and add-ons come with adware. Some could cause your problem...you can check for that. Use the

programs listed below.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free

AdwCleaner Download

Post the logs of those programs here if malware/ adware was found.

Also, from where did you purchase the computer? What country?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:25 AM

If your Toshiba is like my new one, it came with a ton of bloatware, mostly Toshiba programs, which are totally unnecessary.  I used a couple of free programs (PC Decrapifier and Junkware Removal Tool) to get rid of most of it.  I've also heard of a program called ADW Cleaner though have not used it.  Even if there's stuff you don't want to get rid of, you can prevent it from automatically starting when you boot up.  CCleaner has a feature for that.

#4 Gaffer7

Gaffer7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 13 December 2013 - 10:26 AM

I dowloaded Firefox and for some reason it seems to work fine but it's still slow with Chrome. Weird but at least it works now, thanks for the reply buddy :)

Yeah I did get a bunch of random programs that I have no intention of using, thanks for the tools I'll give them a go, hopefully they'll make it faster. I'm just worried I'll delete something important. Anyway thanks for the help guys :)

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,254 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:06 PM

If you downloaded Chrome from anywhere other than  Download and install Google Chrome - Chrome Help

that could be the problem....

Suggest completely uninstalling Chrome.

Go to Start > All Programs > Google Chrome > Uninstall Google Chrome.
delete your user profile information, like your browser preferences, bookmarks, and history, select the “Also delete browser data” checkbox.

More info on uninstalling Chrome...Uninstall Google Chrome Completely from your Computer

Use the two programs in my first post to scan for and remove adware/ crapware.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 02:32 PM

If your Toshiba is like my new one, it came with a ton of bloatware, mostly Toshiba programs, which are totally unnecessary.  I used a couple of free programs (PC Decrapifier and Junkware Removal Tool) to get rid of most of it.  I've also heard of a program called ADW Cleaner though have not used it.  Even if there's stuff you don't want to get rid of, you can prevent it from automatically starting when you boot up.  CCleaner has a feature for that.

I would not state that it came with a ton of Bloatware.

They are only coming with Norton, MS Office, Wild Tangent. As for the Toshiba stuff, it can stay.

That machine is a decent machine. First thing we need is the screenshot from test my.net, showing your Upload & Download speeds. You can post a Ping test or Trace route to say your local news station, or even this site. Do not dogoogle or yahoo, since they always resolve to the closes server in your area, that they use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users