Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Protecting the family desktop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gasman336

gasman336

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:46 AM

Some questions to ask here. Our desktop computer is used a lot by my daughter who enjoys youtube also my wife does most of our bill paying and banking too. I would like to have the best protection possible along with having the system perform clean-ups, scan and repairs during our sleeping hours. I currently have SuperAntispware loaded and Microsoft Security essentials. I am running Windows XP. I know there is a lot of software available but what should this "newbie-middle of the road computer guy"  use to keep my computer running at it best. 

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 06:40 AM

You can reduce your risks of getting malware by following some basic suggestions. Here are a few.

Keep all programs and OS updated.

Do not install Java unless you need it...that's Java...not Java Script...If you do need it, disable when not being used.

Use Firefox browser with the NoScript add-on to prevent driveby installs of malware and other types of malware while surfing.

All Adobe products are frequently attacked by malware. Replace Reader with another 3rd party pdf reader or use Firefox for pdf reading.

Keep Flash Updated. One security update was released yesterday for Flash.

Email....never click on a link or open an attachment unless you have confirmed from the sender or other means as to where the link takes you or what is in the attachment

Use a NON administrative account except when absolutely required otherwise.

Pay attention while installing software and choose custom install when offered and Uncheck offers of toolbars and other types of adware.

I suggest you check in the link below first and if they are offered as downloads from there to use those as they are adware free. You have to

assume that ALL free programs and Add-ons are bundled with adware these days. Ninite - Install or Update Multiple Apps at Once

Avoid using P2P to download pirated programs, music and videos....some of the worse malware exists in those files.

As far as security programs go, everyone has an opinion as to which ones are best. I will suggest only to get either the paid version of Super Antispyware

or MalwareBytes AntiMalware. There are free antivirus programs such as Avast that will automatically update and protect in real time.

Use a Linux Live CD or Flash drive when doing banking or other financial transactions online. Many small businesses and home computer users have a Linux distro installed either

as a dual boot or on a separate computer that is used exclusively for financial transactions and not networked.

I do not know of any malware that is presently being used to infect Linux OSes.

NOTE: your XP is the most vulnerable to malware supported Windows OS. Microsoft will end support for it in April.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users