Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs aren't closing properly.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Coal143

Coal143

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:17 AM

Recently I've been having an incredibly frustrating problem. Whenever i close one of my programs, they don't terminate. You can't see them on the desktop or anything but they're still running according to Task Manager and other detection systems.

Attached File  Untitled.png   43.89KB   0 downloads

As you can see above, The program in question (Company of Heroes 2) was closed, but it still running. This also happens for an assortment other programs seemingly at random. (Also process hacker itself, ironically) If i attempt to end the process in Task Manager, it does nothing; attempting to do it on Process Hacker instead returns this:

Attached File  Untitled1.png   39.64KB   0 downloads

I'm on my beams end here. I've tried most things that i could think of (Drivers, MBM, Norton) and some help would really be appreciated!

Obligatory Speecy: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/RjrQxBLWzP2cF1xRxPx33Qs

Edited by Coal143, 12 December 2013 - 02:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 14 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

Looking at the Speccy snapshot, the only thing that I can suggest is that it may be something to do with the Superfetch service.  There's a short article on Techradar - http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/how-superfetch-makes-windows-faster-639643 - which gives a flavour of what it does - it also applies to Windows 8.

#3 Coal143

Coal143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 09:59 PM

Looking at the Speccy snapshot, the only thing that I can suggest is that it may be something to do with the Superfetch service.  There's a short article on Techradar - http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/how-superfetch-makes-windows-faster-639643 - which gives a flavour of what it does - it also applies to Windows 8.

Thanks for pitching in, I'll look in to it.

EDIT: New symptom sometimes programs won't even open. They appear on the task manager but i can't actually interface with them at all and when i try to close them i get the error seen on OP

Edited by Coal143, 16 December 2013 - 10:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users