Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop w touchscreen, tablet, mini-pc or upgrade. Suggestions please!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 techsome

techsome

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:40 PM

I'm trying to decide between buying a laptop with or without a touchscreen, a tablet or perhaps a mini-pc connected to my TV.  At the moment I don't have a very good reason for owning a laptop except that I'd be able to take it from room to room in my apartment. However living in a place with only 3 rooms there won't be much porting about. I am looking for the ability to just sit on the couch, type emails and veg while maybe watching some TV - even take it to bed with me....uh, you know what I mean.

My place has 4 rooms (bath, bedroom, computer room and living room). My comp room has a 2.7Ghz dual core with 4GB RAM (basically it's a Gateway sx2865 on Windows 7) that I'd be willing to sell and upgrade to something else - being that I use Photoshop quite often and would also like to experiment with some music or video editing software.

My brother just bought himself an Acer 552p - x617 touchscreen on Windows 8. It's has a nice touchscreen though it seems to get a bit laggy, the finger pad can be a bit of paradox as the right and left buttons built into the pad are not very intuitively designed...pushing the left button always moves the cursor enough for it to cause me to select other items on the screen.  However, with that said I can definitely see the benefit of owning a laptop with touchscreen.

So I'm wondering if anyone thinks it's a good choice to even move on to Windows 8 with a touchscreen or am I better off sticking with windows 7? 

Also, does it makes sense to get a laptop or a  tablet that I could use as an all in one and dock as my workstation comp? (I'm attempting to keep things simple with less stuff) Maybe it's a good idea to keep my current desktop or upgrade my desktop and just get a tablet or a min-pc?

Would greatly appreciate some opinions or advice here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

What is your price range?

For the Photoshop, video and sound editing you're going to want a desktop.  A laptop that will handle these well are expensive, $1,500 range.  A desktop that will do it can be had for $750.  If you spent the same $1,500 on a desktop it will run circles around the $1,500 laptop.

I'd suggest a Kindle Fire HDX with Splashtop HD to access your desktop as a possible solution.  This will give you the portability you want for the little stuff around the house and the ability to connect to the PC if you wanted something from there.  Splashtop says you can play World of Warcraft, but I really wouldn't recommend it, I tried.  I will say that it can show you the desktop and allow you to do something, but it isn't the same as being there.

#3 techsome

techsome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

Thanks. I am still looking to get a TV as well so I am trying to stay at about $300-400 for laptop or tablet. I will take a closer look at the Kindle tonight. I'm a member of another forum where someone suggested to take a good look at the Dell Venue 8, the Nexus 7 and the Nexus 10. I like that the Dell is on the PC platform however I think it's to small for me which would also leave out the Nexus 7. I'm considering the Dell Venue 11, of course with its price point I'm not sure what I will unless I get a cheaper TV (which I'm looking to spend about $650 on). I also like the Venue accessories to virtual turn it into a laptop. I really don't want to spend much more than a combined $1000-1200. I have my computer graphics degree from learning on Macs - I'm wondering if it makes sense to try and find even an older MacBook. I'm typing this on my friend's iPad and it is not bad - however I like that with the Dell you can do more productivity and have the touch tablet usability.

What do you all think of either the Dell Venue or Nexus?

PS. taking a look at the Kindle tonight

#4 techsome

techsome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

*I meant to say I'm looking to spend a combined $1000-1200 on TV and a laptop/tablet. Also, regarding the Dell Venue I meant to say portability and not usability.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users